Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any downside to going with a Jeep T-18 w/4:02 1st??

1K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  jeepdaddy2000 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a low mileage Jeep T-18/dana 20 with the 4.02 1st gear. Is there any downside to using this tranny other than I don't have the 6.32:1 1st gear? I can still get the short shaft from PartsMike and it still is FAR better than my present T-150. It still is the same bullet-proof T-18 right?

#27 ·
MeCasa said:
OK, I did good, they even taped a new pin on the shifter

But I'm having a hard time getting it put together, everything is new so It's not the tranny, I guess that leaves me :dunno:

How far down (in) does the shifter need to go to seat, the most I can get is 1?4" + above the threaded flange height, then I add the spring and the two cups and try to screw the cup down, but it won't go :confused:

Am I not seating correctly? Am I doing something wrong in the part sequence or is there more parts? Or do I just need to try harder

Thanks
I have several T-18s around and have found that there are two different length shifters. The lever below the ball is longer on some. I tried for a week to get a long shifter into a tranny that took the short shifter.

I am sorry but I do not have any shifters here so I cannot measure. I also don't know what the difference is.

#28 · (Edited)
kbtriumph said:
I have several T-18s around and have found that there are two different length shifters. The lever below the ball is longer on some. I tried for a week to get a long shifter into a tranny that took the short shifter.

I am sorry but I do not have any shifters here so I cannot measure. I also don't know what the difference is.
I figured as much, do I have any options other than cutting this one down

Doubt it :confused:

Better an over-long but fixable shifter

Than NO SHIFTER!!!

Although the right one would be nice

EDIT: If anybody has a T-18 stick around, could you please ,measure it for me, the long one is exactly 4 1/8" from the flat top of the ball down to the bottom of the shaft

The width across the flat on the bottom is 9/16" (be careful measuring this as the sides are slightly rounded

Thanks

Feel free to bump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.