Any DJ owners here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Any DJ owners here?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
FredDog01

Any DJ owners here?

Hi I'm new here. Looking for postal jeep owners, would like to purchase one LHD
. Any hints on what to look for & which ones to avoid ?
Thanks in advance

FredDog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

Dj5

Hi. We have a 72 lhd DJ5. No idea on the miles. There is a parts supplier at Postaljeepparts.com that has some good data on drive train issues. Mainly they say get one from the years that have mopar trannys & 232 engine or 258. If you only want the body then it really wont matter on that part. Sounds like they mostly all have same front and rear axles. D44 in back with Limited slip. you cant use autozone to order parts as they think DJ5 is a CJ5 and things liek brakes are not the same. DJ 5 was built by AMGeneral not Jeep so although they look the same they are not really the same. Steerign is armstrong on at least most of early ones so it is slow. If it needs a new sector think really hard about changing to power steering not that you need it but the ratio is a lot quicker which will help a lot driving at times. Ours had the BW t34 or something that died almost as soon as we bought the jeep. I replaced it with an AX15 manual. 97 2wd Cheorkee crankshaft back bolt in with custom trans crossmember and drive shaft. It is a lot of fun and if you can keep your foot out of it is getting better than 20 mpg in town. 72 is as basic primitive systems as you can find so it is easy to work on and understand. These were made a long time so you could get one with a lot of miles so plan on bushings, tierod ends, kingpins, carb oh, and on and on. Have fun.
KrasnoyarDJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Only the Audi 2.0L 4 cyl had many probs. ('78-80 DJ5-G) Left side starters (left that is, sitting in the seats, facing forwards) mean it has a Borg Warner auto (hard to get parts for and a 727/999 or AW4 won't bolt up due to the smaller bellhousing pattern and weird crank flange. Usually older than '72 are that way).

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
1997xj5speed1

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/4533534638.html
1997xj5speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
pagesix1536
1969 DJ 

New DJ owner as well. I don't have too much advice for you yet. You'll learn to work on cars real quick though. Might want to learn to weld and work with steel. I'm seeing lots of that in my future to repair rusted areas. I'm also finding it challenging to locate brake parts. Basics like shoes and drums are easy, wheel cylinders and master cylinders a little tougher, specific things like springs, self adjuster kits, and parking brake parts are really difficult to find. I'm going to be calling the guys at postaljeep.net next week though. I hope they're still in business.
pagesix1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
KrasnoyarDJn
1972 DJ 

I think Postal Jeep is in business at least they were a couple months ago. Brakes are 2 inch on all four corners and use the same wheel Cyl and drum on all 4 corners. If you buy from Auto store they will try to sell you stuff for a CJ which had different front and back. I dont know what the CJ had for adjusters and springs in the brakes but the 72 DJ has ones that are diffferent from what most cars with drum brakes have. The springs do not have the J hook on the end but rather hook to a tab on the backing plate. You will know when you take one apart. Just understand what, what you need looks like and get stuff that fits. Get on the PostalJeepParts website and read there opinion about Engines and other parts. They have almost anything you could want. Another source for parts is ebaymotors Seller information jo296ro. I am not sure if you can find it with jut that. It is a bit hit and miss with items available changing.
KrasnoyarDJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
pagesix1536
1969 DJ 

Thanks for the tips. Checking out his ebay store now. First item in the list.... Sliding door track covers! Which my Jeep already has, but an earlier version probably from the 80's. Awesome...I'll probably be sending this guy a fair amount of my paycheck. LOL!
pagesix1536 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.