Another wiring question; wiring alternator to volt gauge? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another wiring question; wiring alternator to volt gauge?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Jeepguy91

Another wiring question; wiring alternator to volt gauge?

I am trying to wire up my alternator by going off of the diagram that Jeephammer showed me. Was wondering if anybody could tell me where i would run the wire to the gauge? I have got aftermarket gauges installed but don't know where the wire would come from off of the alternator? All of my wiring is from scratch. I didn't use a wiring harness. Here is a pic of the diagram that i am going by. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

89 XJ- stock for now
Jeepguy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
mxdano
1982 CJ7 

If you are wiring a volt meter you can wire the + to your ignition switch so it will read voltage when the key is on. If you are wiring an amp meter it needs to go inline from the big +(Bat) post on the back of the alternator, (between alternator and battery). Most gauges read voltage and are simple to wire. + to ign and - to ground.
mxdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Torxhead
1986 CJ7 

On my '86, the voltmeter is tied into the yellow wire that goes to the windshield wiper motor fuse.
Torxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
mxdano
1982 CJ7 

Any wire that has 12V when key is on will work.
mxdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , gauge , volt , voltmeter , wiring , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.