Another tranny question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another tranny question...

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
jeepero81
1980 CJ7 

Another tranny question...

Ok, I noticed that my SR4 (I know, it's garbage) is extremely difficult to get into 1st gear and grinds like a teenage boy when engaging into reverse. Once in reverse, the entire jeep jumps violently as if someone is shaking it like a margarita. However, I also noticed that when I hold it in reverse, the jumping stops. What's the deal here? I just pulled the tranny and transfer case and will be doing the bellhousing tomorrow. What should I be looking for?

I know the best resolution is to dump the SR4 for a t4, t5, or 176. Believe me, I'm trying to locate one ASAP, but in the mean time, what could be my problem on the SR4?

Much thanks as always!

jeepero81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Kinda sounds like your clutch wasn't disengaging all the way to me. A T176 will work with the same bellhousing I believe but you may have to drill and tap the other holes out, the top ones I think on the bellhousing. Look inside you will see the thickened casting

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
jeepero81
1980 CJ7 

Yea the holes are already there for the 176 and we have all the tools to drill and tap at work. The problem is finding one that no one wants. Best scenario I can think of is someone who doesn't know what they have.

If the clutch is not engaging, what is the remedy, in case I can't find a 176 or don't want to shell out the cash.
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Clutch could just be an adjustment, hard to say now that it's apart.

I have a T-4 with less than 500 miles on it built by Mike Helton in Tallahassee. He used all OE parts except for the counter shaft after an earlier attempt with Malaysian parts. I can even get him to give you a warranty since your local, I can make a call and you can pick it up from him tomorrow. I have an add for it in the classifieds, check my profile for the link.
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
jeepero81
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Clutch could just be an adjustment, hard to say now that it's apart.
Sorry I'm new to the jeep world and my mechanics hands are just now getting cracked and stained. What sort of clutch "adjustment" are we talking about.
Unread 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

The linkage has an adjustment in the rod going to the clutch fork, run down Saturday and I'll show you on mine. I'm about 30 miles from you.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.