Another Steering Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another Steering Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
tcl632
1983 CJ5 

Another Steering Question

what will swap with my 5 as far as a tilt steering column and steering shaft? I going to go with a J10 steering box and power steering. I dont have the funds to drop 800 on new stuff I was just wondering if some junk yard stuff would bolt up. There are no Jeeps around here in our salvage yards so it would have to be something else. I thought I read that Chevy would work just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the help.

tcl632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
1983 CJ7 

Someone just posted stating they installed a Grand Wagoneer column and it was a bolt in with the exception of the lower shaft that needed to be shortened.
Unread 07-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
tcl632
1983 CJ5 

243 that would be great to find one of those around here. Seems like anything Jeep around here is all gone
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

There are several direct bolt ins. I know of an s10 steering column working in a jeep as well. I believe when they did the outsourcing for the parts, it includes many other car models that actually have the same columns.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
tcl632
1983 CJ5 

Mnky do you know where a list of vehicles and year models might be lcated?
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

No I do not, sorry. I just have read so many build threads on many different sites and what not. This is stuff I have gathered from my many hours of reading this stuff while at work. I do know the s10's work really well, have seen several jeeps converted, and I think it looks good, other than the stock s10 steering wheel still being attached while in the jeep. lol
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Any CJ or FSJ column from at least 1976-up. Just use a shaft with the correct box coupling.

These aren't hard to find. Create a thread in the JF's Wanted Forum.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Obnoxious1
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdmnky View Post
No I do not, sorry. I just have read so many build threads on many different sites and what not. This is stuff I have gathered from my many hours of reading this stuff while at work. I do know the s10's work really well, have seen several jeeps converted, and I think it looks good, other than the stock s10 steering wheel still being attached while in the jeep. lol
Are the S10 column's bolt in or do you have to modify them or fab some brackets?
A Four wheel mechanized device surrounded by glass and metal designed for the frequent consumption of the owner/operator's money. Jeeps are also linked to diseases such as Jeep envy which can be diagnosed by unusual urges for items such as bigger tires,lift kits, shocks and AMC 401s. As well as the urge to pour money into more than one Jeep. Side effects may be spouse accruing numerous "honey-do's", as well as trips to inlaws. Grease under your nails, numerous trips to NAPA and junk yards, and spare parts in the attic may indicate an addiction. There are no known cures. However there are support groups such as JeepForum.com
Obnoxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

I have never did one personally, but from the looks of it, it looks pretty straightforward.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.