Another Reverse Light thread pls help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another Reverse Light thread pls help

New rockridge 4wd sales rep!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 02-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
BUZZKILLL
1984 CJ7 

Another Reverse Light thread pls help

Hey all,
Fairly new member here. I owned a 76 CJ5 20+ years ago and loved it but had to get rid of it for finance reasons and so I bought a 1984 Jeep CJ7 258 recently (wife calls it a midlife crisis) and been fixing all the gremlins in it. I have fixed most things except for the backup reverse lights and 4wd indicator light. Before I get flamed, I have searched and read all the threads on this issue and haven't found my issue specifically.

I checked the bulbs and put new ones in. Checked the fuse and it is good. After crawling under the jeep to check the switches, I noticed that the wires from the T176 and D300 switches are plugged into the harness. My issue starts here though. The harness isn't plugged into anything else, it was just hanging into the skid plate. After some reading, it appears as though it is supposed to go to the battery area of the engine compartment where it plugs into the main harness that runs to the firewall connector by the driver's side. The PO bypassed the computer and must have gotten snip happy and cut the wires to the harness that should be there for the tranny harness to connect into. Needless to say, the engine wiring harness part isnt there for me to plug it in to. I have a couple of questions that perhaps will help me figure out how to connect it back in if someone could help.

1. Does anyone have a picture of the wires going into the firewall by the drivers side for this harness? I am having a hard time with figuring out which wire goes to what. The PO cut several wires at the firewall that hare just sitting there and I am unsure how to trace them back to the indicator to see what is what. ( I have a meter but am completely unsure of how to use it to trace wires.)

2. Does anyone know of a parts place that will sell just this this part of the harness only? The junk yards around here are almost non existent that I can find.

I feel like if I could wire in that part of the harness, hopefully the PO didn't cut it under the dash. Everything else under the dash works as it should (minus the fuel gauge of course) which I grounded momentarily to the dash and it works, so must be the sending unit. Project for another day.

BUZZKILLL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Try this.
cj-wiring-colored-full-final-1-.jpg  
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here are the wire colors you should be looking for.

My back-up and 4x4 indicator harness comes out of the main harness towards the middle of the firewall.

Hope this helps,

Matt
reverseharness.jpg

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You are right about snip happy, one plug has computer wires and the reverse wires in it and gets snipped lots. Mine was more to the center drivers side of the firewall.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
BUZZKILLL
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the help everyone...I really hate wiring and that is sad because most jeeps at some point and time have wiring issues LOL.
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

The trick is ONE wire at a time. It really simplifies the process. All it takes is patience. You'll get it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
BUZZKILLL
1984 CJ7 

yeah, I have found the ornage wire and the white/tr wire. The one I am trying to figure out now is the red....there are two of them that were cut from the firewall side by side and I am unsure of which one it should be. Dont want to bypass the fuse in there by choosing the wrong one. I think the 4WD light is simple....just run the orange wire down and connect it in and it should work assuming the switch is not bad. I feel like the guy getting ready to cut the bomb wire as far as the red wire goes. Melting down my jeep isnt my idea of fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.