Another Jeep CJ7 Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another Jeep CJ7 Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Looks great! I just went through what you're doing, so I know what a job it is. The only thing I would suggest is relocating the fuel filter & fuel line AWAY from over the exhaust manifold. That's an engine fire waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Well I have also been working on the tub. I had considered all the option as far as removing the paint. I even considered just sanding the old paint, but it was pretty rough. The vehicle has two coats of paint on it. I decided to use aircraft stripper to get the paint off, same as I did for the frame.

With the help of my friend, we got all of the paint off the top half in about 3 hours. It went a lot quicker then I had expected.

The next day I did the bottom. I am not sure why, but this paint was a little more dificult to remove. Spent an entire day doing the bottom.

Sprayed the whol thing with phosphoric acid to keep it from flash rusting.

No problems so far.

I want to remove all the old seam sealer, but the stuff is hard as rocks and the aircraft remover didn't even touch it.

I plan on sanding and priming this weekend.
andresesquire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Damb! that is coming along great! I wish my jeep that I got for $1700 was in as good of shape as what you started with. Good deal and great work!
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #19
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

To remove the old Seam sealer, I took an old sturdy flat head screw driver, with my bench grinder ground down to a fine edge. Just use a hammer to tab along and scrape it off. Did the entire inside of tub in about a half hour.
I used an old screw driver because i wasn't going to screw up any of my chisiles.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Also, kudos to your uncle! You owe him big time. I say take him out to a nice steak dinner once a month for a year and let him drive the Jeep anytime he wants.

By the way, has anyone ever told you that you look just like the actor in Kevin Smith's "Clerks" and "Clerks 2?"

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everyone. Ya, my uncle who is 73, works circles around me. He drives an hour every Saturady to work on the Jeep with me. He's even more addicted then me, calls me mid-week to talk about what we are going to do next. He is an old school mechanic and has been working on motors like this since the 50's.

Never heard the Clerks resemblence before. Ran it past one of my partners and he was in stiches laughing. I'll have to watch the movie again, its been a long time.
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresesquire View Post
Thanks everyone. Ya, my uncle who is 73, works circles around me. He drives an hour every Saturady to work on the Jeep with me.

Never heard the Clerks resemblence before. Ran it past one of my partners and he was in stiches laughing.
Your uncle is pretty cool. And if your partner was laughing so hard, it's gotta be true, eh?

Jeep Wave

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Someone Please Make This Click-free

Okay....here's a side-by-side of you and Brian. You even wear your hair the same way and have similar goatees.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
0lll077cj5
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ha ha that is to funny.....click free for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Okay....here's a side-by-side of you and Brian. You even wear your hair the same way and have similar goatees.

2004 Jeep TJ
77 cj5 (SOLD)
0lll077cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #25
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Awesome - thanks. That only took 4 minutes! I feel the Jeep Love all over this board!!!! Woooo Hooooooo

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Jorge,
that tub looks AWESOME! that stripper worked like nobody's bitness!

And your uncle is the BEST, I hope you give him the first ride. I wish my dad & I could still do this stuff together.
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #27
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Thanks CopperCJ7...I really enjoyed the side by side. I think I'll print it up, it will make a nice conversation piece! LOL.

Ya Fatman, the Aircraft stripper is no joke. I had the hose at the ready for the occasional speck that would fly my way of stripped paint. Hurts like a @#$%^&*!
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

I got every speck of paint off the tub, sanded the bottom then hit it with two coats of Dupont epoxy primer:

Put new 3M seam sealer on

Then put two gallons of Herculiner on:

Got some on my hands, it won't come off!
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #29
eBayfreak
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, looking good... that's going to be one heck of a nice Jeep when you're done with it.
eBayfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #30
xltj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Amazing job. I really want to do this one day... have you ever had experience doing a project like this before? or is this the first? keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it all finished! Do you know what color you'll end up painting it?
Jeep: 1999 Black TJ Sahara, 6-cylinder, 4.0L, front dana 30, rear dana 44, 3.73 gears, 3" Teraflex, 15x8 Eagle Alloys, 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Bestop Sailcloth top, KC 150w Daylighters, KC 55w fogs, CB radio, 73k miles
Daily Driver: '05 Silver Civic EX Coupe, 4 cyl 5-speed Manual, ~35 MPG, 54k miles
xltj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.