Another Jeep CJ7 Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another Jeep CJ7 Build

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #136
AlaskanCJ
1984 CJ8 

Wow! Impressive.

AlaskanCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #137
Evian
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, now that it is finished what is the total cost to restore this beauty?
Evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #138
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. As far as the cost to do the restoration....I'd rather not say...just in case my wife stumbles on to this thread! Seriously though, if I added it all up, I probably could have bought a new jeep with all the bells and whistles, but I much rather have and drive my CJ.
andresesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #139
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresesquire View Post
Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. As far as the cost to do the restoration....I'd rather not say...just in case my wife stumbles on to this thread! Seriously though, if I added it all up, I probably could have bought a new jeep with all the bells and whistles, but I much rather have and drive my CJ.
AMEN! Exactly how I feel...about my wife not seeing what I spent on my CJ-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #140
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
AMEN! Exactly how I feel...about my wife not seeing what I spent on my CJ-7
X 100000000 I learned to get all my parts shipped to work!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #141
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
X 100000000 I learned to get all my parts shipped to work!
Very good call! BUT even though you're a Marine (and thank you) if you were married to an Irish redhead (like I am), all the Marine training in the world would make you run for the hills if she ever found out what you spent on the Jeep. I was going to burn all my receipts and then drove them to my parent's house (55 miles away) and put them in their safe... in case I need them for the insurance thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #142
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Very good call! BUT even though you're a Marine (and thank you) if you were married to an Irish redhead (like I am), all the Marine training in the world would make you run for the hills if she ever found out what you spent on the Jeep. I was going to burn all my receipts and then drove them to my parent's house (55 miles away) and put them in their safe... in case I need them for the insurance thing.
Well, I dont COMPLETELY lie to her. I tell her what I'm buying, but usually tell her it costs about 60% of what it really costs. Wife is not dumb and she dosent think these jeep parts just magically show up
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #143
trebor3009
1985 CJ7 

Great thread and Impressive work! Your build is a source of motivation for me.

How do you like the superride suspension lift?
trebor3009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #144
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor3009 View Post
Great thread and Impressive work! Your build is a source of motivation for me.

How do you like the superride suspension lift?
Thanks trebor3009.

I don't care a bit for the superride suspension kit. There is nothing super about it, it is one rough ride. I've done everything to soften the ride, including loosen the shackle bolts, applying synthetic greese, opening up the clamps. Nothing has worked. There is literally no flex. I would reccomend against them.

Good luck with your future restoration.
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #145
andyt86CJ
1986 CJ7 

where did you find that carpet kit ? I need the same : )
andyt86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #146
Guitar
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt86CJ View Post
where did you find that carpet kit ? I need the same : )
Try 4WD.com 4 Wheel Drive Hardware Search-RH2
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #147
andyt86CJ
1986 CJ7 

thanks !
andyt86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #148
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

I have enjoyed my CJ for a few years running basically a stock setup with a Carter BBD type carb, minus the stepper motor, computer i.e. Nuttered. I've also added an aftermarket air conditioner for my mall crawling comfort.

I have never been satisfied with my mpg. In fact it has been abysmal! I am lucky to get 8 or 9 mpg. Last summer I drove to the upper keys from the Tampa Bay area and had to stop for gas five times. For those familiar, I fueled up at the last exit in Naples and nearly did not make it across Alligator Alley. Also, driving on the interstate is uncomfortable and I nearly have to floor it to merge into traffic.

I decided to take the plunge into the world of fuel injection. I did a lot of thinking and research and decided that I wanted to go with MPI. I also decided I was not going to shell out $2,500+ for a kit. That left only the junkyard option. Feeling adventurous, I began one of many trips to the junkyard.

First I started with an MPI intake from a Jeep Cherokee. Those Jeeps are a dime a dozen in most yards.

Cleaned it up and made all the alterations to the intake to make it fit, and then I polished it up with a wire wheel. BTW, a wire wheel leaves cast aluminum looking like chrome.

Then I went about looking for a wiring harness and computer. One night while looking on eBay I found a used MPI/Hesco kit minus the damper and intake, which I already had for $150!!!! What luck, it included the special PCM, distributor, CPS sensor and bracket, air cleaner setup with K&N filter, all sensors and the Hesco wiring harness with just the required wiring.

I had to buy an electric fuel pump which I found new on eBay for less than fifty bucks a new damper. I already had the right spark plugs and wires from my team rush upgrade.

Took me about a week to finish the job with the help of my uncle. The hardest parts of the conversion for me was dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel hoses and removing the damper. Other than that, it was a bit of a chore keeping the engine compartment organized the way I like it.

When I started the engine for the first time, I forgot to even finger tighten the nuts holding the fan and fan clutch to the pulley. That plus a big leak in the intake gasket making the engine rev to over 5,000 rpms drove the fan nearly through the radiator. Yeah, it was toast, along with the clutch, and fan. Oof!

So, I decided to get an aluminum radiator and rather than replacing the stock fan and clutch I would do the Ford Contour electric fan upgrade. Then I learned that the fans draw a ridiculous amount of current that the 60 amp alternator could not handle.

So, I decided to upgrade the alternator to a CS144 140 amp alternator from a Cadillac Deville. Bolts right up, just had to get a special plug from Napa that includes a special resistor in the exciter wire.

Added a thermostat fan control and finally finished the conversion.

Now the Jeep runs great and I get a lot better gas mileage just in time for the crazy gas prices. Here are pics of the finished product:

For a little over what I paid for that new carb a few years back, I have a much more efficient setup. While itís no longer stock, I can live with the benefits just fine. My only regret is that I did not do it earlier. I think the upgrade is a no brainer. Why bother with the carbs? The endless debates on which Weber is better or the proper way to tune a Redline carb, messing with idle tubs and jets.

Just do it!
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #149
dkg4244
1983 CJ8 

First time seeing this thread. Awesome job! Makes me want to build up a 7.
dkg4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #150
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

That is good lookin

for you

JOIN AND SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB!

My Clean Up / Refurbish Thread
Capt_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.