Another Jeep CJ7 Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another Jeep CJ7 Build

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Another Jeep CJ7 Build

Hello everyone. I enjoy keeping up with all the different builds on the forum and thought others might enjoy mine. Nothing fancy or spectacular here. My goal is to restore my jeep to as close to factory original as possible. I am not a mechanic or a welder, but I am pretty handy. So here goes...

Searched Florida for about two months. I was looking for an original, unmolested CJ7 with a solid frame. I finnally gave up. They seem hard to find around here and were too expensive.

Got one on ebay for $2,000.00, but I had to drive to Louisiana to get it. Probably paid too much, but it was just what I was looking for.

Spent about a month taking it apart. I wish I had been a little better organized, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Engine only had 72,000 miles on it and ran great. No smoke or any other issues.

With the exception of the rear crossmember and the back four frame to body mounts, the frame was in great shape. 90% of the paint still and no rot.

Replaced the rear crossmember

And the back four frame to body mounts. That was a monumental task. I was very careful to put them back on in the same place. I used the ones from 4wd hardware. They seem alot stronger than the ones that were there originally.

Spent the next several weekends removing the paint with aircraft remover and sandpaper.

More posts to follow.

andresesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Looking good so far.

BTW: $2K for a running CJ with some rust (as apposed to mostly rust) with only 72,000 on the ticker - I think you did really well on that part alone.

Keep us posted!

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Thnkas CJeep.

Well after I got all the paint and rust of the frame, and welded everything up, I painted the frame with several coats of Rustbullet. Then I sprayed two coats of Dupont Nason 2K.

Then I replaced the springs and shocks wither Superlift Superride 1" lift springs and shocks. New heavy duty shackles with a 1/2" lift.

Replaced the gas tank too.

New bearings, seels, rotors, brake calipers, all new brake hardware, polyurethane bushings etc.

I wanted original chrome wagon wheels but couldn't find any. So I found that Cragar makes identical wagon wheels, found some mint center caps on ebay.

Bought all new exhaust parts from Autozone.

Unread 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice job. Keep up the work and keep us posted.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

very nice. nice attention to detail. looks what I will be doing tomorrow... reassembly.
Question, what is on that yellow sticker?
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

Where in Louisiana you find that?
Unread 04-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
GO-NOLES84
1984 CJ7 

That's a great looking CJ. I too just recently bought a CJ7, my first Jeep ever and didn't know what to look for as far as price comps or rust, anything. I've just always liked the CJ. Just looking at the pics of yours, I now know that I definitely spent too much. Mine looks good on the outside and interior is new, but the undercarriage and tub have some rust issues that I didn't find until after the money jeep swap. I also found that I have carb issues. But hopefully with that carb I get from you, I can at least get that taken care of. I'll just have to wait a little longer to restore mine totally. Money these days, just doesn't grow on trees, at least for me it doesn't.
GO-NOLES84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
snoogans
1984 CJ7 

It's looking great man... I'm a little jealous lol
Unread 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
cj71983
1983 CJ7 

Awesome job man. Its gonna be good lookin' when you get er done. Are you buying a new tub or just fixing/resuing old tub? Keep the pics coming
cj71983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The yellow sticker on the frame came with the lift kit. Just some info about the kit. Figure won't be able to see it, if there is a future owner he'll have a reference for the rebuild 25 years from now.

Picked up the jeep in Covington, LA.....I forgot to mention before, my friend and I drove his H2....wow what a gas guzzler. Did a lot of this (ouch!):

The tub that came on the jeep is probably salvageable, but outside my skill level. Found an original '86 CJ7 tub, no rust. Apparently after AMC's demise, some "86 tubs were galvanized. This is one of them. Found it right here on the forum. Paid $600.00, what a steal. Oh, by the way, drove to New Orleans to get it.

Unread 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

You are doing a realy good job! That seems like a steal on that tub-pending no bondo suprises.
Keep up the good work! And, just curious, are you really doing that all outside or do you just roll it out for pics? Either way it looks great I was just wondering.
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Probably all outside eh? Its a sunny 85degrees all year long here in Florida!
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Maybe you're the luckiest guy on here. I'll bet working outside makes you pick up and put away your tools when you're done! I'm a garage dweller and very guilty of what I call F.S.S.
I call it flat surface syndrome. If there's something flat in the garage it's a perfect spot for that.... instead of putting it away.
Unread 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

Been chugging along, but I am getting close. I replaced the cylinder head, lifters, rods etc. for good measure (with the help of my uncle):

Finished installing new stainless brake and fuel lines, then installed new exhaust and intake manifold, along with a new carb:

Unread 05-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Dang. Certainly aren't afraid to dive right in, are you? Lookin' great! Keep up the good work!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.