Another dash lights problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another dash lights problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
kooch
1982 CJ7 

Another dash lights problem

OK so new to posting but not new to the forum. I did a search but im not having the same problems....I don't think.

I have a 82 cj-7 with the I6. no radio.
so here is what works on the dash. oil gauge, speedo, temp gauge, turn signals(bulbs light up) and all heater and wiper motor works.

Heres what im trying to accomplish. I just want the speedo bulbs to light up. so i fallowed the orange wires all the way to the fuse with my test lite and no power at all. If i test on any other fuse it lights up??
Do I un screw the fuse box and check the back or am I missing something. I have a coloured wire diagram and that helps.

If it matters I don't have a HI/low beam its just low beam. I think the PO might have changed some wires. Ill post pics. to go with what im talking about.

Wires are intimidating.

Thanks for the help!

kooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The orange wires are the dash lights both at the cluster and the small signs next to the cables.
Check the plug at the light switch.....and the switch too. Clean contacts and replug firm.

For HI beam, you should have 3 wires on the floor at the foot activated dimmer switch. Check the plugs/contacts...Center wire is hot (I think)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
kooch
1982 CJ7 

Ok as for the floor switch or "hi/low" switch. On mine the PO made it an egnition switch. Maybe an anti- theft??? One click with my foot....turn the key it will start right up. If I turn the engine off and click again with my foot and turn the key it try's to start but never will. Click again turn key starts up. So I'm sure that's been modded.

On my way home tonight I had my headlights go on and off.
I reached under the dash wile driving to my light switch and it was hot. And I could jiggle it....seemed that moving it made the light go off and back on...my next perches is a new light switch.
kooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.