Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another CJ frame repair

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CSP 
#1 ·
I have really been trying to get my CJ7 back on all fours. The rear frame is awful though. I attempted to make my own sections, but I really do not like how they came out nor do I trust them. I still have to do the passenger side. I am thinking of ordering this ART-41L - Autorust Driver Side Rear Shackle Mount Section for 67-86 Jeep® CJ-5 & CJ-7 - Quadratec but for the passenger side. Will I be able to add this without having to remove the rear bumper or body? I may take everything I did on the driver side off and buy the driver side section too.

The bolts broke holding the hanger on the driver side. What is the best way to fix this? I'm assuming if I replace the driver side as well with the autorust section I won't have to worry about it. The passenger side ripped out while trying to remove it. What a mess.

The worse part is I have the CJ on my parents driveway and the village came by and said I have to get it back on the ground or in the garage. The rear axle is out and the rear of the jeep has been on jack stands for the last few months. If I do not get this done soon, my parents will get fined $500 a day! I called the village and they are willing to work with me, but I am not sure for how long.

#2 ·
If your planning on using the Dana 60s (per your build thread), then yes, you need the frame repaired correctly and strong. In the mean time, you may need to clear out that side of the garage and move it in there for a week to satisfy the neighborhood watchdogs. Even with the rear hangers messed up, you can still re attatch the leaf springs to the rear main eye and use a block between the axle tube top and the frame so you can roll it into the garage or another place to work on it. These things always take 4 times longer to do than originally thought.

#5 ·
I picked up a 95 yj for $800 a few weeks ago that I am going to use the d60s on. I am going to keep the d30 and amc 20 on the CJ and add a 4" lift and enjoy it.

#4 ·
I bought those for both sides of mine. The PO back into something it looked like and it did enough damage to rust out the frame on it.

All you have to do is notch the rear cross member and bend it down so that will slip into place and then bend it back when done. One thing about those though is its wider then the original so you may need to modify the shackles a little bit on the inside of the frame, I just put mine together yesterday and the shackle hit. I trimmed it down about 1/8" and its clear. The inside of the repair peice is angled to match the cross section above the axle and when you install it, it will put it at the right length because it butts up against it.

#9 ·
I have everything ready to go. I just cannot put the new hangers on because the passenger side is so badly rusted the hanger ripped out when trying to remove it.

#10 ·
83 CJ 7 Frame Repair

I am contemplating buying my first Jeep, an 83 CJ-7. The Jeep is beautiful and appears to run well. Body is in good condition and is rust free. However, the rear of the frame has a good bit of rust. From what I saw I don't believe the frame needs repair but instead needs replaced completely or at least from the middle of the Jeep back.

I do not have the skills to do this myself so I am wondering what the costs are I would be looking at. I saw brand new frames run about $1800 and used 700 and up...Any advice on labor costs to have someone do this frame restoration/swap?

I attached 2 pictures of the worst areas of the rust and one picture of the Jeep. Could get the Jeep for 6-6500. Is it worth it? Any help on the costs I will be looking at is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
BullSmash said:
I am contemplating buying my first Jeep, an 83 CJ-7. The Jeep is beautiful and appears to run well. Body is in good condition and is rust free. However, the rear of the frame has a good bit of rust. From what I saw I don't believe the frame needs repair but instead needs replaced completely or at least from the middle of the Jeep back.

I do not have the skills to do this myself so I am wondering what the costs are I would be looking at. I saw brand new frames run about $1800 and used 700 and up...Any advice on labor costs to have someone do this frame restoration/swap?

I attached 2 pictures of the worst areas of the rust and one picture of the Jeep. Could get the Jeep for 6-6500. Is it worth it? Any help on the costs I will be looking at is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
You may get more feedback by creating your own thread but I would not spend $6500 on that.

#12 ·
Looking at the super long shackles there's more "wrong" going on with that CJ than the rusted out frame.

You're looking at MANY hours to swap a frame since everything else has to be removed to swap it. Figure $75-100/hr to pay a shop to do it. Walk away from that one if you don't know how to do your own repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.