Another 401 build and discussion thread.... - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another 401 build and discussion thread....

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #106
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

make sure to check your push rod length with the rockers, to get them were they need to be on the valve - stamped rockers are a lot of times listed as ford and other makes and they are not always right - and on the factory rods check the area were the rod nut seats for being flat a lot of times it is concave and the nut just barely touches the rod cap to hold it

turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #107
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz401 View Post
make sure to check your push rod length with the rockers, to get them were they need to be on the valve - stamped rockers are a lot of times listed as ford and other makes and they are not always right - and on the factory rods check the area were the rod nut seats for being flat a lot of times it is concave and the nut just barely touches the rod cap to hold it
Already on it.....
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #108
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Holley 670 TA arrived today. I opted to save a few $$ and bought a refurb from Holley Perf on eBay.

Seller holleyperformance has a rating of 99.8% with 13703 items sold so I figured it was worth a shot. Saved nearly $200 off Summits price for same PN

From the listing:

"This is an official Holley Performance Factory Refurbished Carburetor listing.

Factory Refurbished carbs are NOT old worn-out carbs that have been rebuilt. They are carbs that were returned under warranty. When these carbs are returned, we check them out and most of the time there is nothing wrong with them. Generally, they were simply adjusted out of working range by the installer.

Since these carbs may show signs of a previous installation, our policy is not to sell them as new. Rather than scrapping them, we are making them directly available to the public. Not only does this help us control the costs of our new carbs, it allows you to get a great deal on a like-new carburetor!

Factory Refurbished carbs have undergone a thorough inspection. Any damaged parts that would effect performance have been replaced and the carbs are solvent cleaned before being wet-flow-tested on Holley’s state-of-the-art flow benches allowing them to be recalibrated to new carb specs. Factory Refurbished carbs may have scratches, blemishes, and other visual flaws from previous installation."
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #109
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Nice carb. Did it come with a warranty?

I have a recently refurbished factory Jeep 4-barrel air cleaner that would look mighty nice sitting on top of it. PM me if interested.

Edit: Never mind. I see you have the air cleaner covered.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #110
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Nice carb. Did it come with a warranty? Matt
Not the full factory, but yes there is a warranty....
Unread 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #111
cw05
1984 CJ7 

What oil pan are you going to use? I like the larger capacity of the Milodon one that Bulltear and others sell but don't love the crazy price! I also wonder how durable it will be on the trail without a skid plate. Any other options out there besides the stock AMC?

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...eb8932ba1a23e0
cw05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #112
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw05
What oil pan are you going to use? I like the larger capacity of the Milodon one that Bulltear and others sell but don't love the crazy price! I also wonder how durable it will be on the trail without a skid plate. Any other options out there besides the stock AMC?
For now I'll just be using the stock pan, but adding 6qts of oil...per just about everybody on The AMC Forum. A deep pan is on the short list though an long with Bulltears serpentine kit.
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #113
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Finally..... Loaded up for delivery tomorrow:

Figuring 2-3 weeks at the shop, and another 1-2 to get installed and all buttoned up....

Still waiting on the Hella headlights too.....

Unread 03-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #114
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Drooool

Those classic renegade decals look pretty slick.

Sigh... I need me a 401, or a 390...Then its wheelie time!
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #115
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I have to ask you man, why would those guys run an additional quart of oil in a stock pan? Nearly everyone else in the performance world runs a deeper pan with the standard quantity of oil to keep it from becoming a chocolate milkshake from the crankshaft. Who wants a bunch of air-entrained oil being pumped to their bearings?

Just curious as to their reasoning.

Shawn
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #116
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm curious, too, Shawn.

I always thought the reason for a deeper pan was to hold more oil, so the engine never sucks it dry under high RPMs.

Matt
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #117
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I'm curious, too, Shawn.

I always thought the reason for a deeper pan was to hold more oil, so the engine never sucks it dry under high RPMs.

Matt
If the pan is getting pumped dry, oil drain-back is the issue, not the amount of oil. If it isn't getting back to the pan, it's either filled up to the top of the valve covers and/or flying around the crankshaft like a horizontal, chocolate tornado getting whipped full of air.

It needs to be sitting in the pan, away from the crank where it can cool and expel any air that it picked up on the way down. Air makes a poor hydrodynamic wedge in the bearings and it has a habit of compressing in hydraulic lifters.

Again, just curious as to their thinking

Shawn
Unread 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #118
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

IIRC, the OE pan is the same pan that was used on the police packaged Javelins, with a slight difference with the baffle? AMC apparently was putting 6qts of oil in those from the factory. Just about everybody over there, with some really built motors, runs 6qts in their 401s with stock pans. I'll try to copy/paste some posts later today.
Unread 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #119
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I see. I may have defaulted to 5 qt Chevy pans

Shawn
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #120
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I've read thru some of the AMC forum threads, and I'm not sure about the 6-qt theory. I suspect the police cars used the larger filter, therefore the manuals recommended 6. They also had an extra baffle to help with sloshing. The Jeep manuals say to use 5 qts with the shorter filter.

Here's a pic of the stock oil pan with 4 qts of oil. As you can see, the oil is right to the top of the baffle. If memory serves the crank weights are only about 3/8" from the baffle. So, 4 in the pan and 1 in the filter (and elsewhere) seems about right to me.

The 6-qt theory is just another case of shade-tree mechanics thinking they are smarter than the people who designed these engines, IMO.

Matt
dsc01760.jpg   dsc01759.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.