Another 401 build and discussion thread.... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Another 401 build and discussion thread....

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #76
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the link on the bus bars. Those will come in handy for all kinds of projects.

Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #77
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Nice project! I also live in Phoenix. What machine shop did you use? In what part of town do you live?

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #78
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvader
Nice project! I also live in Phoenix. What machine shop did you use? In what part of town do you live?
Live in Chandler, using Scottsdale Machine: Thomas and 73rd St.....
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #79
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERK View Post
Live in Chandler, using Scottsdale Machine: Thomas and 73rd St.....
Ah... I live in the far north end of Phoenix. Good luck with your project!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #80
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Started pre-wiring some of the gauges I had, rest should be in tomorrow...

Mounted one of the red bus bars on the inside of the firewall, up as high as I could so its not obvious. Im using this as a source for 12v switched with fuse; for Volt-Oil Press (mech)-Water-Tranny and Fuel gauges.

Im adding a black bus bar on the firewall just above the battery and will use this for all my grounds, using the existing hole/grommet for the QT vac lines....It will then be grounded to the battery and the tub...and covered as well.

Plan is to put Volt and Oil Press in OE locations. Use Auto-Meter 3 gauge mount:

...affixed to the dash, centered on the OE radio. This will house Water-Fuel-Tranny gauges. I am just gong to leave the OE Water-Fuel gauges hooked up so Ill actually have 2ea.

Tach, Auto-Meter 3 3/8" will be mounted in the dash to the left of the steering column and wired seperately from the rest. I dont have a speaker cut out there and essentially thats the only spot where it will fit.

Clock, Auto-Meter 2 5/8" will be mounted above the OE Volt-Oil Press. My reasoning here is that even though I need to drill a hole in the dash fo it, if at any point I or anybody else doesnt want it there a new overlay will cover the hole and because I will be able to have all my gauges consolicated down to one focal point.

I dont necessarily count the tach as a gauge I need to constantly monitor while driving, more of a tuning instrument.
Unread 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM   #81
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

I hate when the UPS guy doesnt deliver early

I could've wrapped this up today before I left for work if the other gauges arrived. They should be sitting on my doorstep when I get home....gives me something to do tomorrow

Anyway, here is what I have so far:

Unread 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #82
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Popped the tach in as well....

Unread 01-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #83
jarcher401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Awesome numbers.

That's the same cam I suggested on post #50.

How's the idle?

Matt

Idle has just a hint of lope.
jarcher401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #84
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

OK, installed all the gauges this morning. Still need to run the feeds to the sending units for the Oil - Water - Tranny and Fuel gauges once everything get dropped back in.....

I realize some of you purists may not dig the set up, but Im good with it. I had intended to put the tach and clock in the OE locations, but the tach is too big. First thought was to just swap tach and clock locations, but thought the clock would look better centered on the dash....ala' Infinity style.

I have a covered bus bar mounted to the engine side of the firewall where my grounds are consolidated. All my wires (grounds/sender feeds) run through some loom and will be sorted out once the moter gets back in.....
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #85
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have to admit, I winced a little when you cut up that nice original dash, but that's just me.

Looking forward to the engine portion of your build.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #86
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Looking forward to the engine portion of your build.
Matt
......knocking out a few of these side jobs while its down. Headlight relays are next up as I slowly aquire hard parts for the motor.

Hope to have most of my parts by the end of the month, then just going to drop everything off at the machine shop.

IIRC, for an additional $400 they will assemble it and break it in on their stand. Need to ask if they can dyno too..? This way, after I pick it up, it goes straight from the bed of my truck into the CJ....

Im shooting for an install date near 4/1...
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #87
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Posting a quick update on this build....

So since the motor was out I wanted to clean up the engine bay and repaint it. My plan was to POR15 it, which turned out to be a nightmare..... I cleaned and prepped according to their instructions, used their primer-etcher and applied the POR15, per the instructions..... It just wouldn't take. It was like painting glass. After 3 coats I pretty much decided it wasn't working out, stripped it all off, sanded, wire wheeled, re-primed with rattle can and re-painted with rattle can.

Maybe I had a bad can, but I was pretty disappointed. Anyway, the job got done and works for me. This will never be a show Jeep, but it's good enough. I'll try to get some pics up this week.

In the meantime, I've been re-looming the wire harness, installed new body and trans mounts, ordered new Hella headlights and a 6014 to H4 harness with relays. I got the lights/harness from Summit. Lights are due in later this week, but I got the harness in and messed with it a bit. It's pretty much plug and play, I did modify it slightly by extending one of the plugs so I could fit it to my liking. Again, lights are due in this week and I'll try to get some pics up of it all mocked up.

On to the motor..... I want to thank Matt, Shawn, Fuzz and others for their input. After much consideration here's what I ended up ordering:

Wiseco forged pistons
Sealed Power Moly rings
Re-using OE rods
Turning crank .010
Clevite bearings
Assembly will be balanced
Crane Cams 260H cam-lifters-springs
Summit roller tip rockers
Melling double roller timing gear set
Melling pick-up
Bulltear oil pump gears-mid plate
ARP bolts for main caps, rods, heads and rocker studs
MSD HEI w/6AL
Eddy Performer intake
Holley 670 TA
Heads will get worked
Keeping OE manifolds

Dropping off the OE rad to be rodded, pressure tested and cleaned up.

A few other goodies going on as well include:
Daystar motor mounts
B&M deep pan for tranny
Lokar tranny dipstick
Borgeson steering shaft

May add a deep pan to the motor $$ permitting.
Unread 02-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #88
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the update, Uberk.

The Bulltear serpentine kit is one spiffy upgrade, if you have a little extra coin to spend.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #89
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Uberk.
The Bulltear serpentine kit is one spiffy upgrade, if you have a little extra coin to spend.
Matt
...very tempting
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #90
Captainak
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERK
...very tempting
I have the bull tear I'm glad I went to it .....
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.