Ammo Can Speaker Boxes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ammo Can Speaker Boxes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Ammo Can Speaker Boxes

I just finished these this weekend. I am pretty happy with the result. What do you guys think?

imag0436.jpg   imag0430.jpg   imag0431.jpg   imag0434.jpg  
jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Stud_man50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They look good! How do they sound? any vibrations like aluminum cans in a bag? I work with ammo cans everyday and have a few extra's laying around, maybe ill steal this design.
Stud_man50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Thanks! They sound pretty good. I took the handles and the bail on the side of the can off to reduce rattles. I filled the can up with packing peanuts as insulation. No rattles or excessive vibration. Use the 50 cal cans for 6x9 speakers. The speaker grill was wider than the can, so I just let it hang over one edge.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I like them good job, here is a thread I started sometime ago with a few good ideas also.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...unted-1205027/
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Boomer
1982 CJ8 

I have considered trying this, but thought there would be too many rattles and the sound quality would be poor withhave a "tinny" effect to it. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot. I've got a couple of ammo cans I could spare.

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Mastercraftka, thanks for the compliment. I reviewed your thread looking for ideas before I pulled the trigger on this. Been thinking about doing it this way for a while.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Holy crap Boomer, you do have a few ammo cans to choose from. I wondered if it would rattle too, but with the handle and bail removed, it sounds good--even without insulation they sounded good.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddict1 View Post
Mastercraftka, thanks for the compliment. I reviewed your thread looking for ideas before I pulled the trigger on this. Been thinking about doing it this way for a while.
Your welcome! I have been procrastinating for sometime on mine i was given soem pioneer 6.5 speakers and debating on how to mount them. I just bought a parts jeep and looking inside the other day i found some speaker boxes that are made for jeeps. They go down behind the seat and have a cup holder on top my speakers should fit fine in them. I think I am also going to get some box speakers to mount on the roll bar but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
IF they do get to rattling try lining them with Dynamat. This stuff works great in my locker box!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Turbogus, I thought about using some of that stuff. Did you line the entire box with it or did you just do the front wall where the speakers mount?
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Great idea. Although I am a little biased. Here are mine and I think the seal actually helps the sound.

image-417654966.jpg

Stereo is in center console 40mm can and 6.5 in rear. All marine grade. I have no complaints.
image-2852807272.jpg  
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I lined the entire inside of that locker box, save the floor it was fimly bolted and didn't rattle anyway. What's more cargo might tear it up if I lined the floor of that box.If you do the same be careful and read the directions. I'd reccomend descaling any loose paint and using alcohol on the surfaced intended to give the Dynamat the best chance for bonding.
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

Turbogus, how expensive is that stuff? What size are the sheets?
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I used some scrap that their install shop gave me for free, and I bought one pacage of 12" wide. It's been a few years now but I'm remembering it was right affordable for the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.