amc20 rearend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > amc20 rearend

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-12-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
jepthng1

amc20 rearend

i have a 76 cj7 auto v8 was wondering on the
cheapest way to upgrade the stock amc20
and the quadratrac transfercase.everything works fine know. just thinking ahead.
the rearend is offset.
what other rearends will work?
what other transfercases will work?
or can i upgrade with what i have

jepthng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2002, 11:29 PM   #2
manhattanjeep

The best way to beef up that axle is to go with the one piece kit from either Moser or Superior. I will be doing this install next week, and then I will post a writeup somewhere.
Also, you are going to want to weld the tubes to the housing, to prevent spinning them apart.
Lastly, weld on a truss. This will keep you from bending the tubes. Hope this helps you out.
Unread 02-12-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
RickCJ7

Nothing else will bolt right in. You can switch to centered Dana 44 rear with just changing the spring perches(and a gear swap). You can change the transfer by buying an AA adaptor and a Dana 300 transfer.
But why the AMC 20 isn't that bad, add 1-piece axles. The quadrtrac is a good fulltime 4wd unit that just needs the chain replace at 100,000 mile intervals. Milemarker also makes a parttime kit, but why ruin awesome fulltime 4wd.
Unread 02-13-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
Bulletproofcj7

I had a cj7 with quadratrac, nothing but trouble,if its your daily driver its going to be horrible on gas because its always turning the front end,the t-case is weak the chain will loosen and slip at the worse possible time.
I found a cheap donor jeep that i switched the running gear to my jeep. now it has the wide trac axles a little better tire clearence and looks better than those narrow quadratrac axles. still a AMC 20 rear but is centered,the dana 300 t-case is much stronger than the old unit(that didnt even have low range)and has 2-high,4-high,4,low and nuetral, you can even add a twin stick to get 2-low or front wheel drive or something like that(not very familiar with that kit)i also added the t-5 tranny and junked the slush box auto(just my preferance)
if you want to keep the auto you may need an adapter to the D-300. the gearing was different on the new model 20 so i had to swap the front axle as well.was a good time to clean and paint everything while it was out.
I havent seen many upgrades that will fit those off set diff model 20's but that may be just because i was'nt looking
hope this helps some
goodluck
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:06 PM   #5
hollywood

Look for some running gear from an '86 cj - You'll get a Dana 300 transfer case, which has a good low range and is reletively strong (weak aluminum tailshaft housing). You'll also get a centered diff Dana 44 rear end. Otherwise, you can beef up a model 20 with one piece shafts and a truss. I would still junk the Quadratrac for the 300 - upgrades for it a readily available.

- Jeff '83 cj
Another 7 by "cj's heaven"
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #6
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood:
Look for some running gear from an '86 cj - You'll get a Dana 300 transfer case, which has a good low range and is reletively strong (weak aluminum tailshaft housing). You'll also get a centered diff Dana 44 rear end. Otherwise, you can beef up a model 20 with one piece shafts and a truss. I would still junk the Quadratrac for the 300 - upgrades for it a readily available.

- Jeff '83 cj
Another 7 by "cj's heaven"
FYI - VERY FEW 1986 CJ's came with a D/44 - the D/300 is a nice upgrade though...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.