AMC V8 --NO oil pressure with new water and oil pumps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC V8 --NO oil pressure with new water and oil pumps

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

AMC V8 --NO oil pressure with new water and oil pumps

Chris here. I've scoured the web looking for direction, but found nothing, so I thought it was finally time to make a JF account. Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

The issue--Rebuilt AMC 360 has no oil pressure after installing new oil and water pumps.

The background--It's a 57' CJ5 I recently did and engine swap on. 304 to 360 long block. It has a T18 and Dana 20 underneath. I reused the old timing cover and water and oil pumps, but everything else on the front of the engine is new. A few days ago, I started it up and it ran fine. The next day, I replace the water and oil pumps and now I have no oil pressure. I've torn apart everything to the block and can't find a thing wrong. No leaks and all parts seem to be working the way they should. I put everything back on and no change.

I have searched JF, but I haven't found anything that quite matches my problem.

JDChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Brewski
1986 CJ7 

I assume you are good on sending unit and maybe mechanical oil pressure gauge. Also on new installation pump you it sometimes takes a bit to pick up oil and make pressure. I would pack it with petroleum jelly and prime it through the distributor hole. Is the reief valve and spring in correctly?
Brewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Jp78cj5
1978 CJ5 

If you did not pack with petrolieum jelly, then that is your problem. If you have ran it for any length of time, be careful. The engine will have no oil where oil needs to be. I would remove distributor and prime with a long screwdriver bit on a cordless drill. I did the same thing and tore apart twice. Third time I packed the oil pump with jelly and worked like a champ. Within seconds of priming through distributor I had oil pressure reading on the guage. Good luck
Jp78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Good advice. I used petroleum jelly (awkward trip to wallgreens) and got low pressure with a drill, but still can't get pressure after starting the engine. I bought a new gauge and still nothing. Any ideas on what to try next?

A mechanic mentioned checking vacuum pressure, so I put a gauge on a water line for the hell of it. It's also good.
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
Brewski
1986 CJ7 

I would not start the motor if you don't make good oil pressure with the drill. Oil passage plugged maybe? Do you have oil through the push rods?
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
MrElPoderozo
1979 CJ7 

oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
I would not start the motor if you don't make good oil pressure with the drill. Oil passage plugged maybe? Do you have oil through the push rods?
I would check the bearing clearance on the mains and rods with plastigage if you have too much Clarence it would not build pressure, I would not like anything over 2.5 thousand. of Clarence in the bearings, also check if the oil plugs that plug the lifters tunnel are in the back and in the front of the engine. I also recommend to carefully inspect the gears on the oil pump if you have any chips on the gears it will also hurt your oil pressure. BUT before you do all of that I would check the oil filter and make sure that you don't have a collapse oil filter,I had this happened to me and after hours of pain and suffering finally change the oil filter and that was my problem all along,the filter was new in the box(never used) but it was really old in age, I had it in my garage for years and I figure that because it was new AND in the box that it was gonna be ok but it was not. If I think of something else I will try to help,good luck to you :0)
MrElPoderozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
MrElPoderozo
1979 CJ7 

sorry!

[QUOTE=Brewski;14783840]I would not start the motor if you don't make good oil pressure with the drill. Oil passage plugged maybe? Do you have oil through the push rods?

Sorry Breweski! I meant to write to JDChris,im still new at this lol.
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElPoderozo View Post
I would check the bearing clearance on the mains and rods with plastigage
Filter and gears look good, so ill try check bearings next, but do you think the clearance would be affected, considering it was running with good pressure beforehand?
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Brewski
1986 CJ7 

Man I don't think I would drop the oil pan to check bearing clearences for this one. Certainly not if all was well before oil pump change. Also check the slot on the oil pump shaft that the distributor drops into. Is it intact?
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
Are there any other places to check other than the fill and the oil pan? I haven't checked the rods yet. Do you mean by removing the vacuum manifold? I'll admit, this is the first engine I've ever worked on. The most ambitious thing I've done before this was a clutch change on my TJ. I've learned a LOT
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
Man I don't think I would drop the oil pan to check bearing clearences for this one. Certainly not if all was well before oil pump change. Also check the slot on the oil pump shaft that the distributor drops into. Is it intact?

Just missed your post. It's also good.
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Brewski
1986 CJ7 

How about a few pictures of oil pump and how you primed it?
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
How about a few pictures of oil pump and how you primed it?
I didn't think to take pictures, but it's just a stock pump and adapter, gasketed up. Identical to what it replaced with petro jelly pact into the gears and compartment. I used a straight edge to measure gear clearance. I pulled the dist. and used a priming socket from NAPA. Fits perfect over the slot end. NAPA
Unread 01-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
MrElPoderozo
1979 CJ7 

oil pump

[QUOTE=JDChris;14784498]I didn't think to take pictures, but it's just a stock pump and adapter, gasketed up. Identical to what it replaced with petro jelly pact into the gears and compartment. I used a straight edge to measure gear clearance. I pulled the dist. and used a priming socket from NAPA. Fits perfect over the slot end. NAPA[/QUOT

Did you change the oil filter? cause if you looked inside true the installation hole is gonna look ok but in reality it could be bad, the only way that you can tell if it is wrong is by cutting it and looking at the inside paper, Did you prime the oil pump and did you get oil to the push rods? Were the lifters charged with oil before you put them in? Also I would make sure that the holes in the oil pump the IN and OUT are clear and check the gasket ,if it is ti thick it may not let it create pressure,also look for cracks on the pump if it is cracked it may be getting air.Do you have the old oil pump? maybe you should try the old one and see what happens.Good luck!!
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

When you had the oilpump apart did you mess with the oil pressure bypass did you remove it and not put it back as that would surely cause that Just shooting in the dark there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.