AMC V8 Alt and Pwr Steering Bracket Search and Intro... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC V8 Alt and Pwr Steering Bracket Search and Intro...

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

AMC V8 Alt and Pwr Steering Bracket Search and Intro...

Hey guys my name's Marc and I've been cruising the forum here for a few months. Seems like a really great place with lots of info. I've always had a thing for CJs ever since an awesome spring break wheeling trip when I was 17 with a buddy that had a late 70's CJ5. That thing seemed to go everywhere without even breaking a sweat (a springover and SBC swap definitely didn't hurt...haha). I was hooked and not too long after found a 73 CJ5 of my own. I loved driving and modifying it for around the 1st 10 years after I got it. The last 5 years it's basically been in storage in a buddies barn, and I knew if I wasn't enjoying it it would be best to sell it to someone that would.

Soooo fast forwarding to earlier this year when the thought of selling my 5 (even though I hadn't really driven it in a good while) really bummed me out. Now I always loved the simpleness and just plain freedom of owning a CJ but my 5 left me a little short on leg room and space. So a casual browsing of CL amidst the possible sell of my 5 found me driving a couple of towns over test driving a 79 CJ7 and falling in love with that "open air freedom" that always draws a smile to my face. I knew I couldn't pass it up, so Earl Schieb paint job and custom "grandma" covered rear seat and all I bought it and proceeded to drive it around 80 miles home that night. Now my "new" 7 definitely needed some TLC to make it a decent driver, but I've been having fun getting back into the Jeep ever since. I still have my older 5 and have been swapping some of the more desireable parts over to the 7 these past few months. Also fixing/upgrading certain things along the way (some of my newer Jeep's past "repairs" if you could call them that were down right scary)! My 7 is a pretty standard 79 Renegade 304, PS, PB, and T150.

Good to be here and a part of the forum with everyone.

Now on to the parts I just realized I was missing when replacing the water pump this last weekend.
The 1st one is the alternator brace that attaches to the top pivot bolt on the alternator, and catches 2 studs/bolts that go through the passenger side of the water pump.

Also searching for the longer thinner part of the power steering pump bracket set that goes on the radiator side of the pump. It looks like it bolts on with 2 bolts to the main pump bracket and catches 1 stud/bolt that goes through the driver side of the water pump.

If anyone has either of these in their spares pile It would help me a ton piecing my 7 together. I can do paypal or work with you on the payment method.

Thanks

Last edited by JeepinEng; 08-26-2013 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: I can't spell....
JeepinEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Good luck with that...took me 4 months of searching and I found one on a junkyard wagoneer. The 360 and 304 are interchangeable and it seems that everyone engineered their own brackets as a) they broke b) they upgraded alternators and it wouldn't work anymore. Check the junkyard basically for any v8 amc jeep
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's a power steering bracket, but the owner is pretty proud of it.

And here's an aftermarket alternator bracket made by Bulltear. I have this on my 360 and it works fine. You'll need to buy (2) longer head bolts to install it, however, as they are not included with the bracket. See the install instruction on the Bultear website.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Yeah I'm starting to realize how hard it is to find these pieces too. The power steering brackets on Ebay are all going for quite a bit, and I haven't found the alternator brace yet.

When I discovered they were missing from my engine I was looking at some 3/16" plate I had thinking, "Maybe these wouldn't be too bad to fab up....hmmmm"

I know they're basically both struts for the alt and pwr steering but I'd like to put it back to correct.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinEng
Yeah I'm starting to realize how hard it is to find these pieces too. The power steering brackets on Ebay are all going for quite a bit, and I haven't found the alternator brace yet.

When I discovered they were missing from my engine I was looking at some 3/16" plate I had thinking, "Maybe these wouldn't be too bad to fab up....hmmmm"

I know they're basically both struts for the alt and pwr steering but I'd like to put it back to correct.
Check the local junkyards, I get lucky every so often and come across a V8 Waggy. I pull everything off, clean it up and resell it. That's how I got everything for my current build. CL is good to, there is always one or two non running V8 Waggy's or Cherokees on there with the parts you need.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Matt, thanks for the Bulltear alternator bracket suggestion. Looks pretty good. I've bought some stuff from them before but didn't know they had this kit. It says that it allows the alt to be swung upwards like a Chevy. Does this basically raise it straight upwards from its stock mounting location? Do you have any pics of it on your engine?

Thanks
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Yeah I hear ya motiv8ya, I'm trying to stay on the salvage yard lookout too! If you come across one with any of these parts hit me up!

Thanks
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinEng View Post
Matt, thanks for the Bulltear alternator bracket suggestion. Looks pretty good. I've bought some stuff from them before but didn't know they had this kit. It says that it allows the alt to be swung upwards like a Chevy. Does this basically raise it straight upwards from its stock mounting location? Do you have any pics of it on your engine?

Thanks
Yeah, I have a few pics....

Hope this helps,

Matt
alternatorbrace.jpg   burnersbracket.jpg   comingalong5.jpg   runstand6.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
petey156
1977 CJ5 

Jeepeng, I sent you a pm, I have what you want
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Matt, great pics thanks! That serpentine belt setup looks sweeeet! I'm guessing that alternator relocation brackets from Bulltear can also work if you're keeping your v-belts too?

Also I think I may need to hire you to clean my house.....because that engine is waaaaaay cleaner than anything in mine
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Thanks petey156, I appreciate it!
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I also have the ps bracket and actually know where it is for a change. I have the alternator bit you need but I would have to dig for it.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
motiv8ya
1979 CJ7 

If that doesn't work out, there is a 79' with everything you need being parted out on CL in Las Vegas by me.
motiv8ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
JeepinEng
1979 CJ7 

Right on holliewood61 and motiv8ya I appreciate the offers!

I'll update everyone once I get the pieces and install. If these don't work out I'll holler back at you guys.

Thanks again everyone

Marc

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.