AMC Trac-Loc vs. Open Identification Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC Trac-Loc vs. Open Identification Help

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
nickdz

AMC Trac-Loc vs. Open Identification Help

I am trying to determine whether my AMC 20 rear diff. is open or limited slip (trac-loc). I am ordering a powertrax no slip system and want to make sure I order the correct part.

The axle has an "N" stamped into the casing and according to jeeptech’s website, that indicates an open diff with 3.54 gears.

Can anybody confirm jeeptech’s identification chart? Even better…can anyone point me in the direction of a similar but separate chart?

The reason for my wanting to double check jeeptech’s chart is I have crudely calculated my gearing ratio and have come up with 3.73. That’s not to say both aren’t correct, but I would feel a lot better if I had confirmation as to whether this is an open or trac-loc diff before I order a powertrax no slip traction system.

Worst case scenario…I break her open to see for myself and leave her out of commission for a week or so while the parts come in.

Oh yea, the jeeptech chart I am referring to can be found at:
jeeptech AMC 20 differential identification

- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
wm69

what year jeep is it? if it's a widetrac (82 and up) it could be an "H" that looks like an "N" (those codes are hard to read with 20 years of crud back there.......)

Narrow Track AMC 20
: Code Gear Ratio Diff Type
: AA 2.73 Open
: DD 2.73 Trac-Lok
: BB 3.31 Open
: CC 3.31 Trac-Lok
: A 3.54 Open
: N 3.54 Trac-Lok
: GG 3.73 Open
: Q 3.73 Trac-Lok
: L 4.10 Open
: M 4.10 Trac-Lok

: Wide Track AMC 20
: Code Gear Ratio Diff Type
: D 2.73 Open
: DD 2.73 Trac-Lok
: B 3.31 Open
: BB 3.31 Trac-Lok
: A 3.54 Open
: AA 3.54 Trac-Lok
: H 3.73 Open
: HH 3.73 Trac-Lok
: C 4.10 Open
: CC 4.10 Trac-Lok

Jack the rear end up and spin one wheel. If the other one goes forwards too it's a traclok, if it goes backwards it's an open diff.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2004, 03:02 AM   #3
nickdz

"Jack the rear end up and spin one wheel. If the other one goes forwards too it's a traclok, if it goes backwards it's an open diff."

Good call....
- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
lockedandlowded

It could have a limited slip CARRIER and the clutches could just be out!?! Then thjey would spin opposite.
lockedandlowded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
knifeboy2

Spinning the wheels can be correct but as stated if its worn out they'll spin opposite. Really the only good way to know for sure is to open it up. Its really not that hard and you'll need to do it anyways. If the carrier is tapered its an open diff, but if the carrier is boxy then its LS. While you're in there count the gears on the ring and on the pinion and you'll have your gear ratio. Good luck.
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
rkinks35
1985 CJ7 

I think im currently having the same "worn out" problem. I have a AMC 20 rear axle with BB engraved on the shaft, I also counted the gears and it does match the BB 3.31 Trac-Lok. Cant see inside the carrier to get a glimpse of spyder gears. Theres a lot of slack and very easy to turn both wheels in opposite directions. Any ideas? Whats wrong and what needs to be fixed.

I also blew a drive shaft and keep randomly hearing a correction from the rear. Thats why I am trouble shooting my AMC 20, I purchased and installed this recently, dont remember if it was used cause CJ was sitting for so many years. But I have a V8 304 engine that tore the crap out the gears before this axle replacement
rkinks35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.