AMC destroyed cam gear! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC destroyed cam gear!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
sweet76
1976 CJ7 

AMC destroyed cam gear!

Ok, engine ran fine, installed MSD ignition and did not get distributor in hole all the way. Destroyed both gears immediately. Replaced Cam gear, and replaced dist gear with bronze alloy just in case i had some other problem that it would go first, saving me rebuild time. Well, it ran for 1500 miles or so and then the bronze was worn down and I replaced it with an iron gear from msd not suspecting anything. Now, 5000 miles later the cam gear is destroyed and the dist gear is very slightly worn and has some pitting. I need to know what caused this and how to fix it. Thanks for some info.

sweet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/amc-360-died-now-backfires-944727/

This is a double post.... you should stay on your other thread. ON that thread I also told you how to test the iron gear with a drill bit for hardness. You already have a fair amount of info on your other thread. If you want more the most knowledgable guy on this subject would be JeepHammer. Wait or ask for him to take a look you can also do searches for HEI Failures or distributor Gears. There is lots of info on this subject.

I will move your post to the other thread for you.

This THREAD should be deleted,
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
sweet76
1976 CJ7 

Calm down. Was just trying to get info DIRECTLY related to the problem. The gear drill bit test is irrevelent because my gears are already destroyed and i'm not gonna buy more gears THEN test them. I need to know what to get and where.

If you can tell me how to delete this post I will, if it'll make you feel better
sweet76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Sounds pretty simple to me, the replacement 'iron' gear is one of the bad hardened ones otherwise it would also show a corresponding wear pattern to the cam gear.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Contact admin... they can delete your thread. You have been around long enough to know how things work and to not double post the same subj in two posts.

As said in the other thread... you should drill bit your current iron gear to see if hardened... so you know if that caused your failure or not. If you got it from the MSD product I would say little chance it was hardned iron.... but you did put to other gears in there also. The problem is industry wide and if you do not test your gear its a crap shoot. Usually this is the issue with HEI use from ebay an host of other sources and has spilled all over... the only safe location is the MSD and even that I would test only takes a few seconds. NO matter what gear you get under the current market conditions I would ck it with a drill bit test. If you search and look you will fiind pics and some pretty good info.

Here are some of the HEI quotes and they have some of the links if you want to read more.

And again the guy to look to is JeepHammer on this subject.

sorry about your failure.

JeepHammer’s Knowledge Base Web Site

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/HEIcompair.html

From Thread: CRT HEI cam gear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva View Post
I am currently fixing the shreaded cam gear in mine. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykump View Post
I just bought a HEI dist. from 4WD along with a new cam gear from the same place......30 miles later I don't have a cam gear.....has anyone else had issues with 4wd Dist.? l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislsmoke View Post
I had a CRT in my 258. after one year the timing was off and I could not adjust it. Pulled the dizzy and found the gear was a little chewed and also the bottom bearing in the distributor was shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislsmoke View Post
Good luck. Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
His company did the testing for most of the aftermarket HEI makers, and almost all of them had the hardened cam gears at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I purchased a GM HEI from E-Bay for $119. The seller has sold quite a few. It doesn't say that it is made by CRT. The name is Dragon Fire. I checked the gear and it is so hard a 1/8 inch cobalt drill bit will not touch it. I am at a loss for what to do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
the Proform I put in my amc 360 The problem with this ditributor for me was that the MSD gear I bought for it would bind the distributor to the point where it was hard to turn. I ground down the housing slightly to get a little play in the shaft with the gear installed. 4000 miles later, the gears look good, but Jeephammer was correct about the housing being to long. If you,re going to run one these, at least get the MSD gear, and check everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego99 View Post
I too bought the CRT HEI off ebay a while ago, I took out the HEI and to my dismay the HEI was having my cam gear for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigf350sd View Post
I also posted this exact same thing on the Jeepz.com forum, but I wanted to post it both places in order to get more feedback on the subject. Well, I unboxed my HEI "clone" cheap Dragon Fire distributor today and proceeded to check it out, gear hardness, length, cap for brass terminals and flaking electrode, etc...and found out a couple of things. First off, the gear was hardened, a drill bit wouldn't even scratch it, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
I installed a Proform HEI in my 360. I would have done the upgrades to the stock distributor, but I had already bought the HEI. Luckily, I at least used the MSD gear, because Proform advertises a hardened distributor gear. I just found this out today; its as if they consider it a desireable feature. Mine seems ok after 5500 mi.,but I feel as if I dodged a bullet.

Thread: JeepForum.com - Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion View Post
alright so i was driving into work one day and all of a sudden i hear a huge back fire and the engine just killed try to start it to hear some major grindage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion View Post

i pulled the distributor and the teeth on the gears were like ground to sharp edges. i want to keep a 304. i was lookin around on craigslist and i saw a couple of 304's with bad cam gears so now im wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Yep, when replacing the dizzy gear it is recommended to change out to a matching cam gear. AMC's eat'em up & there is a lot of reports on the in the AMC community. Stinks.

Thread 360 distributor drive gear just shredded itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06X View Post
I can see the drive gear is mashed up good; the gear on the distributor (proform billet hei style) looks like its brand new.
Quote:

Should the entire engine be pulled and disassembled due to metal shavings ending up who knows where in oil passages and bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrible View Post
I had a bad experience with the Bulltear set. Find you an MSD set, mine has been working great for a good while now and I push it hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod97 View Post
Ok guys I too fell for the 4WD distributor gear trick. My stock cam gear was shot in less than 100 miles. Lesson learned. had no idea that a new distributor gear was capable of such swift shredding. Its only money....

Quote:
I ended up using a set of dist/cam gears from bulltear; i too had to take .020~ off the dist gear so it wouldn't bind the hei distributor shaft, i gave it a little play, like the motorcraft had,

Thread: Replaced cam gears now no oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
I recently made the swap in a 304 to hei ignition and as everyone has said it will eat up your cam gear if the gear on the dist is hardened steel and it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
I recently replaced the cam gear , dist gear, and timing set. I put everything back together and fired it up. It ran for a minute and the lifters started tapping, I shut it down instantly, I'm pretty familiar with engines so I tried priming the oil pump but I guess I must be doing something wrong . any ideas on the best way to go about priming it. I tried using a screw driver but no luck.
I bought my cj about 4 months ago and still have not been able to get her to the trails and it's killing me.

2/09 Thread CRT Ignition FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtchris View Post
I know others have posted up some issues with the CRT HEI ignition; I have had mine for a couple thousand miles. I just went to do a tune-up today, and noticed it was loose. I look closer and see that about 1/2 of the ring around the shaft where it sits on the block has just cracked and fallen off. Now useless because it can't be tightened down. I have to worry that any metal shavings fell down the shaft into the block. Chris
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet76 View Post
Calm down. Was just trying to get info DIRECTLY related to the problem. The gear drill bit test is irrevelent because my gears are already destroyed and i'm not gonna buy more gears THEN test them. I need to know what to get and where.
Spinning off a new thread for specifics is ok when the old thread gets too involved. Double posting the same trouble isn't a good thing, gets too complicated.

The folks in this thread found several different suppliers for matched gear sets: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/am...issues-942067/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.