AMC 360 w/ Edelbrock 650 keeps flooding!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 w/ Edelbrock 650 keeps flooding!!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

AMC 360 w/ Edelbrock 650 keeps flooding!!!

Okay, so here is my problem. I have performance 360 with a edelbrock 650 on it. I have a Blue holley electric fuel pump with a regulator. The jeep runs ok city speeds and idles just fine. But at speeds 60-65+, if I put any pressure on the peddle it will start to flood and bog down. I have lowered the psi the fuel pressure regulator, but no success there. It has had this setup for a while, but only recently started flooding like this. Only other thing I can think of is that the volt regulator in the alternator is going out so the power output goes up and down. Also the fuel pump gets so hot, that I put my soft top down and it burned a hole straight through, and even melted the plastic zippers.

Can anyone help???

cracked91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I had an issue with that Holley pump several years ago in which I absolutely could not keep the pressure stable. It made tuning the carb impossible. After fighting that thing for weeks I opted to never use that pump again!

Holley Carburetors
swatson454 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

could it be the carb size is to big for the engine? thats alot of cfm
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

I would debate that 650 is too big for a modified 360.

I would first get fuel pressure in check. Then start working on that carb.
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

Well, when i crank the pressure almost all the way down it helps alot, but it will still flood. Also, I have plenty of holes coming up from the engine compartment, but is it normal that when its flooding bad it makes my eyes and throat burn?
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Not exactly an expert but my 2cents. I had a holley that was so rich my eyes would water and it was due to a few things, first the secondary floats were not adjusted right and it would over fill the bowl and dump directly into the running motor, thanks PO, maybe you getting a stuck float or something got loose and now out of adjust. Also the jets both primary and secondary where to big, but that makes no sense for you, it ran right for a while right.

might consider when you change your pump add a pressure regulator.
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Set the float levels and check the needle and seats in the carb while you're at it.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

BUMP!! This is startin to piss me off. I got a new regulator that you manually adjust the pressure on, its got a dial that says how many pounds. No help. So I opened up and cleaned the carb out really good and replaced a broken main seal, then put it back on. It ran ok on the highway for about 20 minutes then decided to crap on me again.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked91 View Post
BUMP!! This is startin to piss me off. I got a new regulator that you manually adjust the pressure on, its got a dial that says how many pounds. No help. So I opened up and cleaned the carb out really good and replaced a broken main seal, then put it back on. It ran ok on the highway for about 20 minutes then decided to crap on me again.

need more info. have you pulled the plugs and checked if they are fouled out? i went through this same problem and mine turned out to be first a power valve and then an o-ring let loose causing the needle valve to fail. i have a slightly modified 360 and use a smaller carb than that. i have a two barrell holley. runs great now. my personal belief is that a 650 may be two big for the motor. i think a 650 would suit a motor with 400 plus hp.
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

I did replace the plugs and wires. Does yours still have the same amount of get up and go off the line with the holley 2bbl? I really am considering dropping CFMs, I just want a performance carb, not just one with low end torque.
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
jeepjunk4me
1972 CJ5 

It seems that most of the improvments are coming from the fuel regulator. I would sugest replacing the holley pump with the stock one and see what happens. The electric pump may be to much even with the regulator. the carb only needs 3-5lbs press to operate. I have a 360 with same carb and am going to the quadrajet. The edelbrock floods real easy off road like holleys.
jeepjunk4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

if it were me i would go to a smaller cfm four barrell. my two barrell runs great but you can feel the torque tapper off a 4000 rpms. i plan on running a four barrell soon but will prolly go with the truck avenger 470cfm. i definetly will stay with a 600 cfm or lower.

i like the opinion of the electric pump being to much. but you can do everything you can to limit the amount of fuel to the carb, but if the carb is to big then you'll still have the same end result. alot of my buddys run a 650 cfm carb on their race cars but they are all above 400hp.

have you talked to any mechanics that know about carbs?
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
if it were me i would go to a smaller cfm four barrell. my two barrell runs great but you can feel the torque tapper off a 4000 rpms. i plan on running a four barrell soon but will prolly go with the truck avenger 470cfm. i definetly will stay with a 600 cfm or lower.

i like the opinion of the electric pump being to much. but you can do everything you can to limit the amount of fuel to the carb, but if the carb is to big then you'll still have the same end result. alot of my buddys run a 650 cfm carb on their race cars but they are all above 400hp.

have you talked to any mechanics that know about carbs?
My .02 cents. . . . Don't put a 470 TA on a V8. While the Holley web sight claims it works it will be a bugger to tune and you may fight it forever. I called Holley on this and they told me the Holley web page is in error and that the 470TA is designed for use on the 258CI 6 not a 304. You will also find that different guys at Holley will provide different statements on this topic, go figure. I am in process of trading out my 470TA now for the 670TA on a 304 motor. I spent too many weekends in the shop on a dyno along with qualified racing gear head tuners and we came to the same conclusion hence my call to Holley to tell us what we suspected, the 470TA doesn't cut it on a 304.

I am sure there are folks here that have this part running fine on their motors, good for them.
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the Holley 670TA on my stock 360 and runs great when the ECM is working right. Justin
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

i'm not going to argue to much on the size being to big. check the power valve and all o-rings. power valves can get a very small hole and cause it to flood. i'd replace it just to be safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.