AMC 360 Smoking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 Smoking

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

AMC 360 Smoking

My AMC 360 has started smoking (blue). It seems to be the worst when I let off the gas, like shifting gears or to come to a stop. It burned a quart of oil over the past 1000 miles. Any guesses what's causing it?

It has always burned a little oil, 1/2 qt to 1 qt between changes, but it seems to have gotten much worse the past week or 2. Is it a major problem, or will it be ok to just keep adding oil until I can get it checked out and fixed this summer?

Unread 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
cscotted
1980 CJ7 

Check your PCV system... and if you dont have one, like many older AMC V8s then you need to create one. One intake and one evac..
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

How many miles on the engine? Done a compression test on it? Could be worn rings or a problem in the heads.
CJ Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

The motor has around 80,000 miles on it. I haven't done a compression test b/c I don't have a tester. Either going to borrow one this weekend when my buddy gets into town or buy one when I get back home.

It was a quart low, so I added a quart. Just under 100 miles later it's a qt low again. Changed spark plugs and #7 was the only one that was oily. How do I tell if it's a problem with the rings or valves?
Unread 03-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
How do I tell if it's a problem with the rings or valves?
Do a compression check. If none of the cylinders are low, the rings and valves are basically OK.

If one or more of the cylinders are low, then squirt some motor oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and check compression again right away. . If that improves the compression, then it was the rings that are worn. The valves may also be worn, but at least you know that the rings are worn. If squirting oil in doesn't improve the compression at all, then it's likely just some slightly leaky valves.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Finally got some time off of work/school and found out the problem is with the piston ring. I would love to pull the motor, tear it down, and rebuild it; but I'm going school, only able to work part time, and money's tight. How hard would it be to replace the rings just on that cylinder for without pulling the motor? Also, can it be done without removing the head? How much would it cost to pull all the cylinders and do it myself?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first time doing any real motor work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.