amc 360 shutting down - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
wallydorf
1979 CJ5 

amc 360 shutting down

I have an AMC 360 that I installed a TBI system on it. Since the day I did I have a constant shutting down of the fuel pump circuit. It is a GM kit and the company I purchased it from Has been very supportive but they just keep sending me new parts that dont solve the issue. Currently on my 3rd ECM and second fuel pump. I know it has got to be a wiring problem and I have gone over the wiring install a hundred times and It is all per the instructions. No it isnt a ground problem because I have changed all the grounds from frame to body to engine etc. Anybody out there know these systems? could really use some help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

So the ECM is shutting off the circuit to the pump? Have you put a meter on it to confirm this?
I myself would run the fuel pump circuit to a seperate and different power source that is switched by the key! See what that does.
Were is the fuel pump located? if its under the hood then it could be vapor locking! It needs to be on the frame or in the tank.

1984 CJ7, 258..HEI..MC2100, T176/D300, D30/M20 lockers, lift, warn winch!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Jon In Tucson

1983 CJ5 

Wally,
Does your fuel pump circuit route through an oil pressure switch? Could this be the problem? Another thought is to log data into your laptop from your ALDL connector. This will tell you what is exactly happening when the fuel pump drops out. If you were savvy enough to install the system, the you'll find this gremlin. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

Jeremiah 17:7 "But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence in Him."

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."

post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
wallydorf
1979 CJ5 

you guys are both awesome. Rerouted the fuel pump through the key and now at least the fuel pump stays on when it shuts down. The oil pressure is a manual so there is now wire there but a great idea. Spent the weekend with my meter and seem to have traced it to somewhere in the main loom that has to do with the coil. drove it to work this morning and it ran great but it shutdown when I pulled up to the gate. thank you both for your help I will endure and conquer but I really hate electrical.....LOL
post #5 of 6 Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Stumpbumper
1984 CJ7 

Sometimes we can chase ghosts. When a "load" is put on a "circuit", you build heat called amps. This can actually open up a connector and cause the connection to go away. Fork terminals and the crimp on splices are bad for this. solder splices and crimp butt splices are best.
I would eliminate those in the process if you have any!

1984 CJ7, 258..HEI..MC2100, T176/D300, D30/M20 lockers, lift, warn winch!

"When in doubt! Gas it out!"
post #6 of 6 Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
LakBum_1
1981 CJ8 

When did the jeep start back up? Coil would be a cool down. how did it run before the throtle body? The brain on a CJ is very simple, agree with the coil possiblity after that it's the TBI..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.