AMC 360 Rich Gas Smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 Rich Gas Smell

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
OCCJ
1975 CJ5 

AMC 360 Rich Gas Smell

When I bought my Jeep a month or so ago, it had a really bad/rich gas smell when running. I took it in to a mechanic and he mentioned that the fuel injection had a vacuum leak and he fixed it.

I've taken it out a couple times since and the smell was gone until I took it out on Saturday and the smell was back and again very rich. I pulled over and there was a bunch of gas leaking out of the part I have pointed out on the attached picture. (this isn't a picture of my engine, but it's an AMC 360 that looks the same). Someone mentioned that was a fuel vaporizer or something similar?

Anyone else experience a similar problem and/or know of a resolution?

OCCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Thats your charcoal canister. It scrubs vapors off your fuel system. Your 360 should not have gas leaking out of it.

There are 4 (if original canister) inputs into it, but you will only use 3 (no carb bowl vent obviously) w your fuel injection.
1- ported vaccuum
2- carb bowl vent
3- gas tank vent line
4-egr line

My guess is someone hooked the old carb bowl vent line to a fuel filter or something. There should NOT be raw gas flowing into the canister.
Something is plumbed wrong. Search this site for "charcoal canister". Theres at least one really good write up w diagrams for plumbing.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Wish my engine compartment looked like that!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I wouldn't care if my CJ smelled like Rosy Barrs' arse to have an engine that clean!
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
OCCJ
1975 CJ5 

@GP_Pete thanks for the info! I'll get in there tonight and check it out. I'll post more pics if I get stumped.

@WNC-84CJ7, @hutch1200 haha no doubt! That's not my engine compartment, but I wish it was! One day..
OCCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.