AMC 360 Questions (Newbie) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 Questions (Newbie)

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
jordo487

AMC 360 Questions (Newbie)

I have some newbie questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have a AMC 360 engine that is running great, but am wanting to change some parts on it, but am having some problems. The first thing is, I have no idea what year it is. Does anyone know how to find out the year from someone on or stamped on the engine? Next, and it is probably partially based on the year, though some is the same. I need to replace the freeze plugs, Engine Oil pickup, oil pan gasket, the clearance between connecting rods and not sure where to find the parts and in part because I don't know the year. Either way, I need some help if anyone could be of service! Thanks!

jordo487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

all years the same for what your wanting to do.
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Do you still have the factory valve covers? If so, you may get lucky and find a metal tag attached to the front passenger valve cover.

That will have a build-date code stamped into it.

Here is the de-code information.

Hope this helps,

Matt
engineidtag.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
jordo487

Thanks for the reply's guys and I will take a look at the valve covers closer to see if there is a tag, I think they are the original.
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

There is also the block casting number on the drivers side rear by the bell housing. You can look it up and see what years your block was made.

If you look just below the left head, right next to where the bell housing surface is, you can see mine highlighted in white. I painted mine so they are easier to read once its in the Jeep.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
jordo487

I see it there, great. I will check both of these things this weekend. It is sitting at a friends the next town over while I work on it and he is gone to be able to check for me right now. Thanks guys!
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Print this page out and take it with you.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main...ng_numbers.htm

Using this chart, I was able to determine that my block is a 70-82.
I know I have 72-73 heads on there as well. The rockers are stud mounted (not bridged) so installing roller rockers is easy.

If you pull the valve covers, you can use the head casting number to figure out what year, volume the combustion chamber is, valve sizes, rocker arm configuration, etc.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/david.crooks/amc.PDF

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.