AMC 360 no spark/start - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

AMC 360 no spark/start

It's been a long day of working on the CJ5 and I'm stumped. I have an AMC 360 with holley 4160 4 bbl carb. I did the 'team rush' upgrade a while back (1yr) with larger cap and rotor, MSD wires, GM HEI ignition module, champion spark plugs, and a Ford MSD TFI coil. The coil went bad (measured the primary and secondary resistance and found out of tolerance) so I bought another. The jeep fired right up with the new coil and ran well, but would not stay running. Primary fuel level was good, but adjusted the secondary float fuel level and then brought out the vaccum gagues to tune it. I let it run for 5-10 minutes and I broke for lunch only to come back out and not have the jeep start at all.

I'm still getting fuel to the carb and tried testing the coil only to find I am getting no spark from the coil again. Aside from the coil not sending a spark, what else could be the problem, i.e. what is causing the coil to fail? Note I did not install a capacitor on the ignition module so could EMI issues be causing the failure?

1978 CJ5
Fiberglass Body
Reman AMC 360
T-150 3 Speed Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

May sound too simplistic but it sounds like your circuit somewhere to the coil is opening at some point. Maybe you've done this but I'd start by checking juice to the coil to its source and all connectors.

1978 CJ7 304/T150
1959 Willys CJ5 F4/T90
1995 XJ 4.0
1998 TJ 4.0
post #3 of 3 Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
CJ Runner
1978 CJ5 

Thanks Ivehad4. I had checked all that and what it ended up being is a pin connector from the ignition module being bad. The only reason it was running is the pin connector was intermitently making contact with the pin.....too much fun

1978 CJ5
Fiberglass Body
Reman AMC 360
T-150 3 Speed Transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.