AMC 360 or LS swap :) 1976 cj7 - JeepForum.com
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
AstroGuy
1976 CJ7 

AMC 360 or LS swap :) 1976 cj7

76 cj7 has a non numbers matching amc 360 in it, but the engine "has a lifter sticking" (per the seller). im having the shop give me an estimate on repairs but I wanna see what yall think.

What would a fully dressed amc 360 cost me (can such a thing even be easily found these days?)

Or maybe I should just throw the visa at it, and get a LS engine installed and never look back...
I have already ruled out a hemi as I couldn't find any gain over the LS for the cost...it seems thats really the 2 choices for off the rack engine swaps. I haven't picked a version of LS yet though.

I am in NE Colorado if that matters for emissions or the like?

Thanks in advance for your opinions advice and information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

Just to warn you about the viewpoints that will be coming your way..... If going by Matt's "greasy pig" 360 build it won't be inexpensive. I'm not sure what you mean by it's not numbers matching since AMC never put the 360 in a CJ.

Keeping it AMC would cost you the engine rebuild or possibly whatever parts it would take to repair what you have. I'm fairly certain what is involved when to an LS has been documented on here with some searching so that would have you add up some of the hidden and not so hidden expenses like motor mounts and fuel system mods.....
John Strenk and AstroGuy like this.
post #3 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

Go read the 5.3 swap thread on Pirate4x4 in the Jeep hardcore tech section. It's up to 250+ pages now. I'm on 148 myself. Wealth of info. If you want to swap to something else, you should be researching LS swap only, nothing else.

EDIT: Purchase an LQ4 iron 6.0 liter. Drive it for awhile as is till 300 HP bores you. Next purchase a Holley Terminator MPFI Kit. Then install a turbo and blow the doors off any late model camaro or mustang you come across. Then go wheel your favorite trail haha!

Yes, I'm consuming alcohol right now.

Shaun

1978 CJ5 to CJ6 - Build in progress......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 AM
chatham

[QUOTE=TIPPEDITOVER;38774913]EDIT: Purchase an LQ4 iron 6.0 liter. Drive it for awhile as is till 300 HP bores you. Next purchase a Holley Terminator MPFI Kit. Then install a turbo and blow the doors off any late model camaro or mustang you come across. Then go wheel your favorite trail haha!QUOTE]

read this first

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-makes-464-hp/
AstroGuy likes this.
post #5 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

Carbed LS = yawn

Shaun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
AstroGuy
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by it's not numbers matching since AMC never put the 360 in a CJ.
Cool I had no idea what was "stock" options I just knew seller said it was not original. basically I think I am already decided to LS, but thought what the hey...should look at what this 360 is all about before just writing it off as an option.

but im fairly certain ill just crate LS and have the shop do the install. unless someone can sell me on rebuilding this 360 lol
post #7 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 AM
chatham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
Carbed LS = yawn
yawn all you like but it is a good article on how to do great budget build SBC with great power and torque.

if money is not an problem then have it... fuel injected, turbo charged, supercharged, nitro beast build. add some wheely wheels and a chute and you got a hell of a ride. ah hell go all out and add some neons and spinners so you have that total in the hood look.
post #8 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Dadamsnv
1977 CJ5 

In very general terms, you pay the money for the motor with an AMC 360, and you pay the money for the swap parts for an LS. It is most likely similar dollar amounts if going new/rebuilt. I was quoted $3,600 for a full rebuild of an AMC 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Strenk and AstroGuy like this.

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #9 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Dadamsnv
1977 CJ5 

There's a guy by me who gets lightly used 5.3L LS engines, double checks all the components, tunes them a little hotter, and turns the wire harness into 3 wire swap units (meaning the engine will run with power, ground and ignition) then sells them all cleaned up for $1600 with a warranty. Very tempting.

AstroGuy likes this.

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #10 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM
waynaferd

You can buy a crate SBC with warranty for about what it cost to find a junkyard motor and rebuild it....

That $1600 is probably less than just machine work on a v8...probably 12 years ago I had almost $1400 in crank turning, head shaving and valve jobs, line honing, block decking, boring, and manga fluxing, plus cam bearings and freeze plugs
AstroGuy likes this.

A 55 '5 and a 77 '7
post #11 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
AstroGuy
1976 CJ7 

in the end, which will be better for high altitude crawling and low altitude muddling lol might as well keep the goals in mind.
post #12 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Dadamsnv
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGuy View Post
in the end, which will be better for high altitude crawling and low altitude muddling lol might as well keep the goals in mind.

Sounds like FI would benefit you then. The native FI on the LS motor would be very simple and reliable if you can get fuel to it. You can setup FI on the 360, but that equals either time or money.

TIPPEDITOVER and AstroGuy like this.

post #13 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Just don't toss the 360, FSJ folks will give you something for it.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
post #14 of 156 Old 08-21-2017, 06:40 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
In the Lab

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatham View Post
yawn all you like but it is a good article on how to do great budget build SBC with great power and torque.

if money is not an problem then have it... fuel injected, turbo charged, supercharged, nitro beast build. add some wheely wheels and a chute and you got a hell of a ride. ah hell go all out and add some neons and spinners so you have that total in the hood look.
One could argue if money is a problem then owning any Jeep is quite foolish and motor swaps should be the last thing that person should consider doing with what money they don't have.

Your tough guy, safe behind the monitor 'tude is unwarranted.
AstroGuy likes this.

Shaun

post #15 of 156 Old 08-22-2017, 04:46 PM
schardein
1983 CJ7 

If you have to spend money on a motor, do you want to spend it on 60s era technology, or 90s era technology? Extra power aside, the drivability of modern fuel injection is unbeatable.
JeepNut84 and AstroGuy like this.

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.