AMC 360, Jeep CJ Cooling issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360, Jeep CJ Cooling issues

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Paperboy326

AMC 360, Jeep CJ Cooling issues

Current radiator is 3 row copper/brass. (2) 7x11/Hayden coolers in front of it for the power steering and trans. 360 aluminum heads, hei, Howell TBI, TH400, 4.10 gears, ARB air lockers.

After a trip to Harlan Ky. With lost of climbing jeep temp is hitting 220 and will climb more if I don't stop and let cool.

Running Dual Taurus fans, flex-a-lite controller.

Need to replace radiator. Not sure on direction. New copper/brass. Or Aluminum.

North wood? Champion cooling? (Cheap options)

Or

Griffin, flex a lite , be cool (expensive options)

Paperboy326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

1. What gauge are you using?
2. What gears/tires are you running?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
Paperboy326

Autometer- mechanical

4.10's and 35's
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Remove the power steering oil cooler and if you have a trans fluid connection on your current radiator move your trans lines there.
The Hayden Coolers are blocking a lot of air flow and really dont contribute that much.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Remove the power steering oil cooler and if you have a trans fluid connection on your current radiator move your trans lines there.
The Hayden Coolers are blocking a lot of air flow and really don't contribute that much.
x2,, start there. When did it begin to run hot?? something new or changed? to much timing?

I ran an 11:1 360 30 over in the desert for a decade and never went more than 10 over the thermostat temp.

It was a copper 4 core, and standard clutch fan but manual trans. The auto dumps even more heat into the system.

my next set up is a 401/auto/AC so i am interested in what you find?
chris989604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Paperboy326

My first thought was the coolers but those are nothing new. But were thinking its the timing. To get the Howell to preform we have about 24deg of initial timing. Before with the carb we had 10-12 deg initial timing. I have been talking with Troy today to see what we can do. With timing set at 10-12 like directions say. It runs like crap. Mid range falls on its face, back fires through throttle body etc.

Scott
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

make sure your centrifugal advance is advancing properly.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy326 View Post
My first thought was the coolers but those are nothing new. But were thinking its the timing. To get the Howell to preform we have about 24deg of initial timing. Before with the carb we had 10-12 deg initial timing. I have been talking with Troy today to see what we can do. With timing set at 10-12 like directions say. It runs like crap. Mid range falls on its face, back fires through throttle body etc.

Scott

That sounds like alot of advance. Not sure how much more your vac and mech add. You must have an adjustable timing light if you can read to 24 degrees. How high will it go if you raise the rpm to 3500?

My MSD will put in 15 more of vac advance and 20 of mech. If you are cruising at a few thousand RPMs you mechanical advance may be adding ~10 and if your foot is not in the gas the vac could add another 10 easily putting you well into the 40's.

With my old 360 i ran no vac advance and set the timing at 12 degrees and it would max at 32 @ 5000. I had a lot of compression on pump gas so the heavier springs were needed to slow the advance. If i ran the vac advance when cruising at light throttle it would advance the timing too much.

What pistons are you running, do you know the compression. what ignition system? as your spark gets hotter you need to open up the gap on the plugs, maybe even drop a range or two. I am running my 304 now at .055 gap.
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Are you run'n a shroud? You should--
When was the last time you had a rod-out done on the radiator and a professional flush done on the block.
CK for vacuum leaks as that can lead to a lean fuel mix.
LG
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Paperboy326

Its got to be something with timing that we have had to add to get the inject it to work. Jeep ran great with carb but went to injection for better idle and off camber operation.
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Then you have other issues.
LG
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #12
somedude922

I have the exact same setup. Unfortunately I had to cut hood vents. On top of my eagle. That helped tremendously. Other than that I have a regular 3 core radiator and stock fan. No shroud. Then again my temp gauge might be not up to par. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a convection oven sitting idling.
somedude922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy326 View Post
Its got to be something with timing that we have had to add to get the inject it to work. Jeep ran great with carb but went to injection for better idle and off camber operation.
ONe other thought,

Lean= heat. fuel will help it cool. In small planes we lean out and watch the EGT.

maybe you are running a little too lean, or at the least leaner than with the carb?

If you have the adjustable timing light, Run that motor to 3-4k and see how many degrees you are maxing at.

Chris
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
petey156
1977 CJ5 

I'm also shopping for a new radiator.
This is one option...

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-CoolI...ep+cj+radiator

Other options I've found is.

Oreiley auto parts, auto zone and advanced all have plastic tanked radiators with a lifetime warranty. $180

I'm not sure which route to go, Local with warranty or amazon all alum.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Why not OEM type using brass?
Brass can be re-cored and repaired-Alum and plastic can't.

LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.