AMC 360 help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 help

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
jeeprme1

AMC 360 help

Calling all AMC V-8 gurus. I have a 360 with about 2000 miles on rebuild. I had it bored,new pistons, cam, lifters, yada, yada. It's been running great but now it ticks(lifters) when I start it after it sits about 8 hours or so. It only does it for a couple seconds till oil pressure builds up, then all is well. The oil pressure runs about 60 psi cold and around 35 when at temp. It's like the lifters are bleeding down or something. One thing I didn't change was the oil pump/ timing cover(just put in the new gears). I was just wondering if any body else has ran into this problem. Other than that it runs great, don't smoke, or use oil plus IT DON"T LEAK, for now . Thanks for any input or suggestions.

jeeprme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
CJ7Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprme1
It's like the lifters are bleeding down or something. .
That is exactly what it sounds like to me. The question is, should they be bleeding down? Some lifters are designed to do so, thus I would suggest consulting the manufacturer. I know when I had some questions with some Clevite parts I bought for my 258, the tech assist. guys were very good about taking the time to speak with me and work through the problems.

You might try doing the same. Another thing you might look at is valve lash, they may need to be re-adjusted since the engine is now broke in. Fortunately for me, the 258 has a 0 lash, no problems there.

My 2 cents.
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
79cj360

did you use a hydrolic of solid cam.

hydrolic cam shouldnt have a tick. and they should hold a rather constant pressure

now i dotn mean to offend you in any way but, did you think it could be the oil setteling out of the head. when the motor sits the oil drains down, when this happens the motor on start up has to pump the whole motor full again. it has to get it all out of the pan into the whoel motor. if its only a few seconds i wouldnt worry about it to much, motors make weird noises.

the amc 360 has a oiling problem to begin with. the oil passages and all arent big enough in soe spots and the pan istn dep enough for therse motors. the rear 2 main journals dont get enough oil therefore dont last as long as say a 350 chevy.

you can do 2 things to solve this. there is a stainless line you can put in the valley of the motor, under the intake manifold. this will send the oil from the front oil passage to the rear getting the oil there faster.

second, milidon sells a swinging doule pick up setup for the amc motors that will pretty much eliminate this problem. pumps oil everywhere and picks it up in 2 spots. kinda pricy though.

for the lifters check the clearences and if it presists and the motor still runs fine, id let it be.
turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear
international dana 70 front w/closed knuckles

" damn modification bug bit me hard, so im bittin back!!"

"Go mud or go home"
79cj360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
jeeprme1

Thanks for the input. I was wondering about the draining of the oil back into the pan also, but I asked the guy who done the machine work and he said the lifters should hold pressure even though the rest of the oil in the engine drains back to the pan. I put in a mild cam (214 int.), and there in no adjustment on the rocker arms. The AMC thing is new to me. I've rebuilt several Chevy engines and haven't encountered this problem before. I'm thinking about getting a new intake, so maybe when I yank the old one I can get a better look a what's going on inside the beast. Thanks again for the info.
Unread 03-25-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

if you have the bridged rockers, there is no adjustment - if you have the single stud rockers it might be one of the nuts are backing off
other wise I would say it is the lifters leaking down,as far as a oiling problem the intake oil line is not needed unless you are going to pull high rpm's, most stock motors ran a long time with out this mod
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
twmattox

You may want to post this on www.ifsja.org

It is a website for Full Sized Jeeps. Most of those used the AMC 360 and there would be a lot more people there who run the 360...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #7
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

What oil filter are you using? Some don't have a 'stop' and that causes the Lifters to bleed down.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:13 PM   #8
jeeprme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hoff
What oil filter are you using? Some don't have a 'stop' and that causes the Lifters to bleed down.
It's a NAPA filter (not the cheap one). I was thinking the same thing, so I changed the oil and filter, but it still does it.
It just started acting up at about 2000 miles. I'm thinking maybe some contamination or something is in the lifters letting them bleed down over time, they can be touchy. Thanks for the input.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.