AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
aaronjwood
1978 CJ7 

AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions

I have a 1978 CJ7 with an AMC 360 engine, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM carb (part# 1406), Edelbrock Performer AMC intake, T150/Dana 20, stock ignition Module with an e-core coil and a distributor with a larger cap setup (I suppose this is similar to the team rush upgrade, but not sure if it was done 100% correct). By the sound of the engine at idle I believe that there is an aftermarket cam installed. I have no idea what it is.

I have had the Jeep for about 2 months and after reading within this forum for countless hours have some questions.

1. Is this the correct size carb for this engine?
2. What gains could I expect by installing a CDI ignition?
3. Will installing the Edelbrock "heat shield" gasket improve warm starts?
4. Is the stock spring/metering rod setup adequate or should I attempt to tinker?

Thanks to all who advise?

--Aaron

aaronjwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
ARTIZAN
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

What's wrong with your warm starts now?

Maybe you can do a title search at the DMV to find the previous owner and see if they know about your engine.

If it isn't a stock cam it's prabably an RV cam. There aren't many options for low end performance which is what you would want in a jeep. And with that, the performer is a good intake and it calls for the 1406 carb.
ARTIZAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Aaron

Ive been running the same edelbrock performer package (to include cam and lifters) for around 10 years now. I run a full msd ignition (6al box, blaster2 HV coil, msd wires). Stock autolite plugs. I also put on the bigger rotor cap-adapt by msd.

Very happy with the setup. The carb needs to be reworked for better offroading or a different one put on. A project for another time.

Go through your old ignition system and inspect everything. Test it too.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I run the same setup as well. The 600 is plenty adequate for the 360 in my opinion. I also had hot start challenges with my setup and installed a edelbrock wood 1 in spacer. I have never had a hot start issue again since and the wood is super tough.

I did end up messing with my metering rods and stayed with the stock size rods but went up one spring to to the pink spring. and I also added the off road needle and seat kit.

As far as ignition I love the MSD 6AL I put in. I noticed that my throttle response was improved quite a bit.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Not trying to hijack the thread - maybe info would help OP as well - bigred, how has the 600 performed with the offroad needle, etc?
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Much better than stock. Its a bit rough and occasionally stalls if you try to let it idle at a really steep angle. When I say steep I mean rear bumper just barely touching the ground while the front is in the sky.

For faster rougher stuff I noticed a huge difference.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.