AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
aaronjwood
1978 CJ7 

AMC 360 / Edelbrock Carb and Intake Questions

I have a 1978 CJ7 with an AMC 360 engine, Edelbrock Performer 600 CFM carb (part# 1406), Edelbrock Performer AMC intake, T150/Dana 20, stock ignition Module with an e-core coil and a distributor with a larger cap setup (I suppose this is similar to the team rush upgrade, but not sure if it was done 100% correct). By the sound of the engine at idle I believe that there is an aftermarket cam installed. I have no idea what it is.

I have had the Jeep for about 2 months and after reading within this forum for countless hours have some questions.

1. Is this the correct size carb for this engine?
2. What gains could I expect by installing a CDI ignition?
3. Will installing the Edelbrock "heat shield" gasket improve warm starts?
4. Is the stock spring/metering rod setup adequate or should I attempt to tinker?

Thanks to all who advise?

--Aaron

aaronjwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
ARTIZAN
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

What's wrong with your warm starts now?

Maybe you can do a title search at the DMV to find the previous owner and see if they know about your engine.

If it isn't a stock cam it's prabably an RV cam. There aren't many options for low end performance which is what you would want in a jeep. And with that, the performer is a good intake and it calls for the 1406 carb.
ARTIZAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Aaron

Ive been running the same edelbrock performer package (to include cam and lifters) for around 10 years now. I run a full msd ignition (6al box, blaster2 HV coil, msd wires). Stock autolite plugs. I also put on the bigger rotor cap-adapt by msd.

Very happy with the setup. The carb needs to be reworked for better offroading or a different one put on. A project for another time.

Go through your old ignition system and inspect everything. Test it too.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

I run the same setup as well. The 600 is plenty adequate for the 360 in my opinion. I also had hot start challenges with my setup and installed a edelbrock wood 1 in spacer. I have never had a hot start issue again since and the wood is super tough.

I did end up messing with my metering rods and stayed with the stock size rods but went up one spring to to the pink spring. and I also added the off road needle and seat kit.

As far as ignition I love the MSD 6AL I put in. I noticed that my throttle response was improved quite a bit.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Not trying to hijack the thread - maybe info would help OP as well - bigred, how has the 600 performed with the offroad needle, etc?
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Much better than stock. Its a bit rough and occasionally stalls if you try to let it idle at a really steep angle. When I say steep I mean rear bumper just barely touching the ground while the front is in the sky.

For faster rougher stuff I noticed a huge difference.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.