Amc 360 cant keep cool - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 360 cant keep cool

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #31
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Sounds like you need to confirm gear ratio. 3,300 to 3,400 at 62-64 MPH is really high RPM's if you say you have 33" tires and 4.56 gears

Unread 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #32
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

I dont have much to offer but I disagree with the one that said 4.56 was not a low gear, but in my day 4.56 and 4.88 were racing gears and I would not want my jeep to be screaming thru the gears, mine is loud enough as it is , that would be like driving in 3rd all the time. good luck man
tevans59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #33
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

Just an off thought, have you replaced the coolant with a 50/50 mixture of water and ethelyne glycol (anti-freeze)? If it's straight water, 100% coolant, or old coolant, those will reduce your cooling capacity.

May want to take a good look at your fan clutch too. It needs to be between free enough to idle at highway speeds so as not to create an air dam and tight enough to pull air at lower speeds and when idling. When you say "heavy duty fan clutch" that concerns me a little bit.

Is there any indication the PO had pulled the heads for a vlave job? It may sound silly but I've seen reversed head gaskets block water jackets.

If you haven't already, a really really good cooling system flush might be a good idea. It can be amazing what some people can put in their radiators sometimes.

Finally, check the pressure on the radiator cap and be sure it is correct for your 360. Too high a pressure cap will not permit the heated coolant to expand into the overflow and coolant, the higher the pressure, becomes less and lkess effective at dissipating heat.
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #34
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTexas View Post

If you haven't already, a really really good cooling system flush might be a good idea. It can be amazing what some people can put in their radiators sometimes.
this is no joke. i had an hour long argument with a co-worker about putting salt in the radiator in the winter time. no crap, this guy was having similar problems with his 4.0 2door Cherokee. he said it was overheating very easily. since i'm known as the jeep guy at the plant he came to me.

i asked him similar questions as all of you. then he told me he uses salt in the winter to keep the water from freezing. after i picked my jaw up off the floor i told him to flush the coolant system immediately. he reported back that it didn't work, then proceed to show me a picture of the coolant ports under the head in a pic on his phone the next day. there was a little bit of cylinder head left in his chunk of rust.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Semper Fi, Old Texas. I like your Ronald Reagan quote.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #36
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Semper Fi, Old Texas. I like your Ronald Reagan quote.
Semper Fi...

Down here a lotta folks will put pepper in their radiators as a temporary way to stop a leak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.