AMC 304 V8 Cam gear and Dist gear problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 304 V8 Cam gear and Dist gear problems

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
powderguy01
1980 CJ7 

AMC 304 V8 Cam gear and Dist gear problems

I have a 1980 Jeep CJ7 w/AMC 304 V8 and had it completely rebuilt and converted the original dist. to MSD dist. 8523. I have no problems with my engine except I am now replacing my 3rd set of cam gear and dist gear. I used MSD gears last time and had them matched so they are the same hardness. This set I just had taken out showed that the teeth only made contact on the ends of the teeth. They showed wear right in the middle but they just do not fully seat into the cam gear like the original dist does, there is plenty of oil for lubrication and I had no issues with timing or jumping or anything else in regards to this particular upgrade...except the gears last only about 12,000 miles.

Is there a solution or should I just scrap it and return to the original dist and build it up to give me performance and fuel mileage?? I built the motor for fuel mileage and was getting 16 mpg freeway and it was the most reliable its ever been and I would like to have a good, reliable electronic system for my daily driver. Any real and helpful answers would be great by anyone who has had this issue and solved it. I have read a few old threads on this but dont really see a solution to my particular problem and MSD does not have a solution for me. According to them it is something else...timing cover, cam, lubrication but nothing they have told me even deals with the fact that the teeth of the gears do not fully mesh! I am a free member so I cannot upload a pic of my gear.
Thank you,

Powderguy01

Last edited by powderguy01; 04-19-2013 at 09:07 PM..
powderguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.