AMC 304 to a T86 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 304 to a T86

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

AMC 304 to a T86

Hi all! When I bought my '66 cj5 the previous owner had taken out the buick V6 and put in a chevy 4 cylinder. I want to put in my 304 out of my '74 cj5. I am not into hard 4 wheeling, just trail driving with the kids, will I have to change the trans, or transfer case?

DLord5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

What transmission do you have in it?
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

In the '74 I have the T15, with a Dana 20 transfer case. "66, T86 with a Dana 18 transfer case. I will just swap the whole deal if that is an option! Wasn't sure if I would have mounting issues. I hope I do not sound like a moron, I just have limited experience with swaps.
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

According to Novak, a T86 doesn't bolt up to an AMC motor
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t86.htm

Not sure how everything will bolt in to a 66', I never been lucky enough to own or wrench on one.

Take some measurements and see how things line up and fit. Keep an eye on the fan clearance at the radiator and the front driveshaft location and placment (make sure it won't hit anything)

Next best thing is do a Google search for a AMC V8 swap for a 66' CJ, I'm sure there is someone out there that has done it or tried to do it.

What about going back to the V6? It should be a direct bolt in.
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
CSP

Pretty sure that your biggest issue is going to be fitting the AMC V8 in a front clip that's 5" shorter than the one it's coming out of.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Pretty sure that your biggest issue is going to be fitting the AMC V8 in a front clip that's 5" shorter than the one it's coming out of.
What if he went to an electric fan?
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
CSP

Maybe that's a possibility.

Just judging from the questions the OP has asked I'm not sure he's even aware that the '71 and older engine compartments are smaller.
Unread 09-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

I wasn't 100% sure either.
I just hate to see a AMC motor go to waste. For some reason you can't find new ones anymore
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

Thank you all for your replies! I have thought about going back to the V6, but like was said I don't want the 304 to go to waste. I am not familiar at all with the '66. Just saw the difference is steering... The '74 isn't going anywhere, so I will be sure not to let anything go to scrap. Geez, I didn't know about the front clip either... I think I have lots of research to do before I swap anything! Anyone know where I can get another dauntless V6? I posted a thread about swapping my Dana 27 with the Dana 30 that came out of my '74. Any opinions about that, or should I wait on the other thread? Thanks again all!!
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Maybe that's a possibility.

Just judging from the questions the OP has asked I'm not sure he's even aware that the '71 and older engine compartments are smaller.
I thought it looked smaller, but I thought it was just because of the motor!
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

I just saw online that there is no adapter to mount the t86 to any AMC engine. Would this trans then bolt to any Chevy V6? I found a 2.8 for cheap, and am now thinking of going that route...
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
DLord5
1966 CJ5 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t86.htm
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Ok you got the 304 get a Jeep T18 and the Dana 20 or Scout 300.
and build a 72-CJ7. Your 66 frame is C channel to much work to put the 304 in that. Or drop a 231 even fire V6 in to the 66 call it a day.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord5 View Post
Geez, I didn't know about the front clip either...
Look at where the back side of the front fenderwell opening ends on each one for a comparison. It will be very obvious looking at both of them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.