AMC 304 Locked Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 304 Locked Up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

AMC 304 Locked Up

I'm fairly new to the Jeep world, although I've owned a few I didn't have the tools or area to actually work on one.

The 304 in my 78 CJ 7 commited suicide on the way home after I bought it, so since I know the motor is toast i've been using this as a learning experience. I'm not very skilled in mechanics, but I have what you might call a basic understanding of how things work.

I pulled the motor by myself over the weekend, it sure wasn't as easy as everbody said it would be...but then again it wasn't as hard as I thought either. I just now pulled the oil pan, and sure enough I've got large chunks of metal in the oil pan. The bottom end of the motor looks fine i think, no noticable missing parts or broken parts.

Thought about trying to pull the heads off and look to see what actually happened. I'll just start taking bolts off untill something happens. lol. I think I know the answer already, but anybody think this motor is salvagable? I'm currently looking for a 304 or 360 to put in so I can drive it. And eventually get a 360 to rebuild and have right to put in it for the long haul.

Thanks for the help

Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

If it's piston parts that you're finding in the oil pan, you won't be able to tell if the engine is salvagable until you get the thing dissasembled so you can inspect the bores.

BTW, if you're going to replace it, by all means get a 360 rather than a 304.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

Thats the prefered route putting a 360 in. Right now with money being tight, i'm gonna jump on the first good running engine I find. Eventually pick up a 360 and build it right as money starts flowing back in. I've learned more from this website then I could ever learn from a chilton or haynes manual thats for sure.
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
IDK
Web Wheeler

The rings on your pistons probably broke apart, I'm helping restore a 57 Willys CJ5 for my brother with an F-Head four with the same problem broken rings. I'd put a 360 in it if I was you. Hope you get it running soon, gotta keep those CJs on the road and remind competitors what off roading is all about.
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.