AMC 304 Carb Replacement - Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 304 Carb Replacement - Suggestions?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Koko4
1975 CJ5 

AMC 304 Carb Replacement - Suggestions?

I have a 304 that I just rebuilt, and now the carb is acting up - so much so that I can't get it to run. I had a friend rebuild the carb, and I guess he didn't do it correctly - the float bowl is not filling up at all. The only time it's getting gas is when I'm pushing the accelerator. I'm considering just buying a replacement carb because I don't want to fool with another rebuild kit, and I honesty do not know what I'm doing.

I was thinking of either going to Summit Racing or Jegs. Currently I have an AMC 304 engine, and a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 carb. I wanted to know if you had any suggestions on a good carb for this engine. I want to go with a 2bbl with an electric choke. Thanks in advance for any help/tips, as I am new to the world of carburetors!

Koko4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

The 2100 you have is what I rec. If the bowl is not filling up either then the float isn't operating correctly or the fuel pump is FUBAR. Start there.
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Koko4
1975 CJ5 

I'm thinking it's the float - I had a friend rebuild the carb awhile back. When I press the accelerator, gas sprays into the carb. I removed the fuel line going into the carb and it was sending fuel, but the gas was not collecting properly in the carb itself. When I removed the fuel line, hardly any fuel came out of the carb. I am hoping and thinking the fuel pump is okay--right? I may have a source for a free Ford 2bbl carb..hopefully that will solve that problem.
Koko4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

If fuel is spraying out the fuel line when removed and turning over the engine the pump is ok. Next I'd remove the top of the carb and see how much fuel is in there. You can have someone briefly turn the engine over and see if fuel sprays into the bowl. Be careful as you may have fuel spraying everywhere.. pull the coil wire first.

It really sounds like your "friend" eff'd up the rebuild. If you do now want to mess with it, call Pony Carbs in Las Cruces NM and have them rebuild it and calibrate it. They may just do an exchange. I had a 2100 on my 304 and it was great. It is probly the best carb to install on a 304 for offroad IMO..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.