Amc 304 carb, intake & cam question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 304 carb, intake & cam question?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Amc 304 carb, intake & cam question?

I am thinking about taking off the two barrel carburetor and intake manifold along with all the smog equipment on my 1979 Jeep CJ7 Golden Eagle, 304, 4 speed?!

I'm considering going with a Rochester Quadra jet four barrel 500 CFM carburetor, rv cam and an Edelbrock performer intake manifold along with HEI upgrade and Shorty headers.

This two barrel smog equipped motor just isn't cutting it and this jeep will be my daily driver (15 miles per day) and of course my elk hunting rig.

Has anybody used a Rochester Quadra jet carburetor? I've been reading some good things on this setup up

any suggestions?
Thanks

Gasman303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

I have the holley 4 barrel 470 truck avenger, edelbrock performer aluminum intake, edelbrock rv cam, outside of frame headers, and stock dizzy with a MSD box. It runs like a different vehicle now. The response from the accelerator now is like a fuel injected vehicle. I have no regrets.

My father in law lives near castle rock, i love that area.

Last edited by lsukevinc; 07-03-2013 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: for got to mention something
lsukevinc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Ive heard that they are hard to get adjusted right, but when they are right they are very good carbs. I had an edlebrock performer intake and carb with a set of hedman headers on my 304 and liked it very well.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Are you going to run headers?

Shawn
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Yeah, I'm going to run in frame headers! Anyone out there making a Bolt in exhaust system yet for these Cj's?? The muffler shop where I live won't touch any vehicle without Catalac converter?? BS... So I just want to bolt up my own!
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I'd suggest these two cams. Those "Edelbrock" cams are actually old Blue Racer grinds from the late 60s, resurrected by Edelbrock's marketing department and ground on old, soft cores that surely won't like todays low ZDDP oil. You'll be down a good amount of torque across the power band vs a modern grind.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=20&sb=2

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1480&gid=287

Hope it helps.

Shawn
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I run an Offenhauser intake and Quadrajet carb. I have never had an issue with the carb on very steep inclines, off camber (laid the Jeep on its side, still running, had to shut it off). I am also running a HEI ignition system. Totally worth it. No more coil and many feet of wiring and old connections to worry about. One wire fed through a relay from the battery for power. Other wire goes to tach. Simple and works great.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Offroad, it just cruises along with no issues.

I built my own exhaust. I used some strait, 45°, 90° bends. The ends are from NAPA, made by Walker and bolt right up to the stock manifolds. If your using in frame headers, its even easier.

True dual, no cats.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Offroad, it just cruises along with no issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSwQ-tqVMA

I built my own exhaust. I used some strait, 45°, 90° bends. The ends are from NAPA, made by Walker and bolt right up to the stock manifolds. If your using in frame headers, its even easier.

True dual, no cats.

Sick jeep and nice setup you got there!! I thought about getting the 90's and 45's from summit and rigging my own exhaust like you did yours... Awesome

What HEI distributed did you go with and what cfm is you quad? That thing acts and sounds like its fuel injected

jobthanks
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Gasman303
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
I'd suggest these two cams. Those "Edelbrock" cams are actually old Blue Racer grinds from the late 60s, resurrected by Edelbrock's marketing department and ground on old, soft cores that surely won't like todays low ZDDP oil. You'll be down a good amount of torque across the power band vs a modern grind.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=20&sb=2

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1480&gid=287

Hope it helps.

Shawn
Thanks for the link's I will look these over!!

I've heard Summits 5600 cam is decent but not good quality of metal used?!! I was thinking more of a RV cam or a grind where I don't have to change valve springs.
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Stick with the two barrel. There is a reason Chevy only had a two barrel Rochester on their base 307 69 camaro's. adjust gearing before messing with cfm. A two barrel will scream (especially in a jeep) if gearing is correct.
gwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Almost all Quadrajets are 700 CFM (There are a few 800CFM but they are rare.) Just because its there, does not mean you need to use it. But, I like having that option. The nice thing about a Q-jet is it will only give what the motor needs. The small primary is great for off idle acceleration and mine does not burn a lot of fuel. The secondary's do not open up unless your foot is way in the throttle, so essentially its like a 2bbl with the loud pedal option.

My HEI is just a simple one. You can find them on Ebay for under $100 new. I run one, Dad runs one in his '72 CJ5. The only thing we did was swap out the dizzy gear for the original to ensure the cam gear did not get ate up.

I am into my exhaust for under $200. More if you wanted Flowmasters, but these work just fine. I think they sound OK. Since I built it myself, the whole system is tucked up inside the frame where it will not get damaged (See pic of Jeep on its side). The video was shot just after I laid it on its side. Another thing I like about AMC motors... No holes in the valve covers to leak oil..

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolff View Post
Stick with the two barrel. There is a reason Chevy only had a two barrel Rochester on their base 307 69 camaro's. adjust gearing before messing with cfm. A two barrel will scream (especially in a jeep) if gearing is correct.
I agree. It's hard to beat a properly tuned mc2100. Every experience I've had with a q-jet is that its hard to keep them in tune. Now that may just be the ones I've worked with or something I'm doing. As far as 4 bbl's go, I like edelbrock the best as far as tune it and leave it.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Edelbrocks are nothing but a paper weight once you get a little off camber. Leave them on street rigs where they belong.

A Q-jet is easy to tune. The biggest item with them is keep them clean. The systems operate on vacuum. In a sense, they are almost self tuning. Set them once, keep them clean, and forget it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
RDH

I have a 500 cfm 2bbl Holley on mine. With good tuning I have PLENTY of power and 13 mpg. Saving up to get an HEI next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.