amc 258 vapor lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > amc 258 vapor lock

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
buZZBomb_
1988 YJ Wrangler 

amc 258 vapor lock

after searching this forum for a few days vapor lock is the logical diagnosis.but i will appreciate any input or advice,so thank you guys in advance for your help.heres whats going on,lately its been warm here 65 or so.going for a spin,ill get 6 miles from home and engine dies,while accelerating,or at a stop.before it dies the rpm gauge bounces with no noticable change in rpms,then itll die.the first time i can usually start it rite back up.but after that,i have to wait 5 mins.my fuel line goes from the mech pump over the head to the carb(webber k551)with the fuel filter sitting just inches from the headpipes.reminding you this was never a problem a few months ago when roads are wet and ambiant temp around 45-55.but does that have anything to do with it?

Unread 05-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #2
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Sounds like a blocked fuel vent line?
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buZZBomb_ View Post
after searching this forum for a few days vapor lock is the logical diagnosis.but i will appreciate any input or advice,so thank you guys in advance for your help.heres whats going on,lately its been warm here 65 or so.going for a spin,ill get 6 miles from home and engine dies,while accelerating,or at a stop.before it dies the rpm gauge bounces with no noticable change in rpms,then itll die.the first time i can usually start it rite back up.but after that,i have to wait 5 mins.my fuel line goes from the mech pump over the head to the carb(webber k551)with the fuel filter sitting just inches from the headpipes.reminding you this was never a problem a few months ago when roads are wet and ambiant temp around 45-55.but does that have anything to do with it?
The tach bounces before it dies? No noticable change in RPM? Hmmmm... fuel problems won't do that. I wonder if your ICM is starting to fail now that it's getting warmer out.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
buZZBomb_
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac62 View Post
Sounds like a blocked fuel vent line?
are you refering to the return line from the filter,what if i deadhead it? just put a regular in and out filter on.or is the fuel vent line another deal.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.