AMC 258 Rocker fix - ticking noise - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 258 Rocker fix - ticking noise

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
tell me more about that oil pump, you mentioned the 258 pickup, do you just buy a Mellings HV 4.0 pump, and replace the pickup tube? or? I have also got that "TICK".. have to go into it and find it .. figured on changing the oil pump also, so... and valve cover gasket leaks at the back, so.... and....
From O'Reilly Auto Parts...

Mellings HV oil pump M167HVS $86.99 and comes with a pickup tube and screen, but the tube and screen are shaped a little bit different, and will not fit properly, without some refit effort. I opted to get the pickup from the 4.2 part # Mellings 81-AS3 $18.99 which is the correct tube and screen, and fit perfectly with NO effort or refitting. The tube just presses in, and is indexed off the pump bolt.

I also used the Fel-Pro 1 piece oil pan gasket part # OS34308R $19.99 to button it back up. Very nice gasket, lined up perfect, required NO sealant, and has NO leaks.

This was done on my 1983 CJ7 just this past weekend, so it is current info.
Hope the sheds some light, and helps someone.

capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

On my 304, I had (still have on a couple) of the rockers with some slight ticking. I pulled the passenger side valve cover off and found that #4 rocker arm was "loose". When the valve was closed, there was a lot of slop. I removed the rocker arm and found the end that hits the top of the valve was worn. (these were used arms.) To remove some slop, I removed the rocker arm, chucked up the pivot in the mill, and took off .020 and put it back together. The removal of the material on the pivot allowed the arm to tighten up to within specs. This got rid of my noise.

I am going to replace all of the rockers with roller rockers. I got lucky and the heads on my 304 are from a 1972 and already have studs in them. Rocker arms are a bolt on.

My rocker arm style is like this.

Where most are like this.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Find the Hammer's write-up on rebuilding the oil pump. It's the easiest way to re-gain some oil pressure, other than dumping thicker oil in it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaas3 View Post
My jeep has had a small tick coming from the valve train since I bought it. I changed the oil in my jeep for the first time since I have owned it this last weekend and the tick has gotten noticably louder now. I am running 10W-30 with some Marvel Mystery in it, I can only assume the PO was running heavier oil to help mask how loud the tick was.

This coming weekend I am going to pull the valve cover off and scrape off all the blue RTV that was used (no gasket) and check out the rockers. I know there is a long list of things to look as to what can be causing the tick, especially when taking over some persons previous project. I am just looking for a few of the normal culprits to check for. I am hoping it is just a worn pivot (seems fairly common when I searched) or something easy and cheap to fix.

We are also going to install the HEI, new plugs, check the compression and set the timing. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Make sure your rocker arm(includes rocker arm bridge) bolts are tight or torqued to spec.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #20
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

I had the same problem a while back

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/no...dvice-1111149/
81azcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Torque on my '83 258 rockers is 19 ft/lbs
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #22
jdhaas3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Pulled the valve cover and it was horribly dirty.

We pulled all of the rockers and cleaned them up as best we could. None of them were out of spec. I think they are just old and worn and need to be replaced.

I still have a tick but it isn't bad. I am going to wait as long as I can and just replace the cam/lifters/rockers/push rods all in one shot. I changed the oil from the 10W-30 to Rotella 15W-40 and that helped a little bit, just keeping the noise down. Jeep is running good though.

After we cleaned up the valve cover I noticed this scoring on the inside. The guy helping me said that isnt coming from my engine, that has to be from a previous engine because the noise mine is making is nowhere near what would be required to be doing this. What do you guys think caused this?

Either way, I am just ready to drive this thing. Just started leaking a little from the RMS, hopefully it isnt too bad and it can just go with it for a bit.

jdhaas3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.