AMC 258 Engine Interchange question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 258 Engine Interchange question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #16
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If it's just a tapping or ticking it's more than likely just a sticky lifter. Mine has had one for a long time and, like yours, it doesn't burn any oil and has good oil pressure. I did have it progress to a bad knock after it sat for a few months following a rollover but that turned out to be carbon build up on top of the pistons. A little water and diesel down the carb followed by some 3500 rpm revs and it blew black, purple and blue out the tail pipe and no more knock.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I've also heard that putting a cup of ATF in the oil and running it for a short time then changing the oil will help free up a sticky lifter.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
featured
1985 CJ7 

Very interesting! Thanks guys, i`ll let you know if any of these awesome tricks work. This Jeep has been sitting for a while and the previous owner also didnt drive it on a regular basis, though he took longer trips often.
featured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
featured
1985 CJ7 

If all else fails maybe i`ll get a video of the sound!? I know these things are difficult to hear over a video but cannot hurt.
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

To start, a "long block" means the complete engine including the head so the size of the head bolts is meaningless. The 79 engine will swap right in and you can put your computerized intake, exhaust and carb right on it. Though the 79 carb may be a better one, if it is a 2 BBL Carter.

Do yourself a large favor and read about the nutter bypass so you can just set the computer carb up like a 79 carb and have a sweet 25% seat of the pants boost in power. How to - Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com This bypasses all the computer controls so the engine just runs off the ignition module like the 79 does and is easy to do. That way you can use the 79 distributor and carb.

The knock in the old engine could very well be an exhaust leak, they are notorious for snapping off the last exhaust manifold bolt or just plain coming loose.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
To start, a "long block" means the complete engine including the head so the size of the head bolts is meaningless. The 79 engine will swap right in and you can put your computerized intake, exhaust and carb right on it. Though the 79 carb may be a better one, if it is a 2 BBL Carter.

Do yourself a large favor and read about the nutter bypass so you can just set the computer carb up like a 79 carb and have a sweet 25% seat of the pants boost in power. How to - Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com This bypasses all the computer controls so the engine just runs off the ignition module like the 79 does and is easy to do. That way you can use the 79 distributor and carb.

The knock in the old engine could very well be an exhaust leak, they are notorious for snapping off the last exhaust manifold bolt or just plain coming loose.
Thanks alot, in the event of an engine swap this information is priceless. I will check out the nutter bypass - having not read it, would that mean ditching my HEI? I dont have any of the stock intake stuff from the 79 but do have the dist.
Unread 07-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #22
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by featured View Post
Thanks alot, in the event of an engine swap this information is priceless. I will check out the nutter bypass - having not read it, would that mean ditching my HEI? I dont have any of the stock intake stuff from the 79 but do have the dist.
If you already have an HEI, you have already killed the computer controls. Your stock Carter BBD can be set up to run sweet if you just put the air bypass pins for the stepper motor in the center of their travel where the computer would normally run them. The pins move in steps and can sometimes be rocked from the top with needle nose or a sharp mini screwdriver to get them right or you can remove the stepper motor to do it or you can put power to the pins of the stepper to move it if it hasn't seized.

A carb kit while you are at it also helps make them just purr.

I have my 86 intake and carb on a 93 4.0 HO engine now and they run sweet giving a nice 21 mpg mixed driving.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
If you already have an HEI, you have already killed the computer controls. Your stock Carter BBD can be set up to run sweet if you just put the air bypass pins for the stepper motor in the center of their travel where the computer would normally run them. The pins move in steps and can sometimes be rocked from the top with needle nose or a sharp mini screwdriver to get them right or you can remove the stepper motor to do it or you can put power to the pins of the stepper to move it if it hasn't seized.

A carb kit while you are at it also helps make them just purr.

I have my 86 intake and carb on a 93 4.0 HO engine now and they run sweet giving a nice 21 mpg mixed driving.
That sounds awesome, i`ll read through the conversion thread and check out the pin stuff too - all after the knock is fixed or engine swapped!

My underhood is such a nightmare making the engine swap look really difficult, I guess if I ditch the emissions equipment and electrical would be a good time to do it.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

featured, I swapped to the wet , two barrel intake and exhaust from the '86 and went with a Rochester. Here it is about half way thru the install. I'm just more familiar with Rochester / Chevy stuff.

CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #25
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ258 View Post
featured, I swapped to the wet , two barrel intake and exhaust from the '86 and went with a Rochester. Here it is about half way thru the install. I'm just more familiar with Rochester / Chevy stuff.

Nice and clean, how do you like it?
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #26
featured
1985 CJ7 

update

After not being able to find the knock I decided to pull the motor, didn't take long at all.

I found a ton of broken and disconnected vacuum lines, so i`m definitely doing the nutter bypass when I install my replacement engine. The mess of vacuum lines is very intimidating when they are all removed - I would have left them in place but many of them removed themselves long ago.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.