Amc 258 - Page 3 -
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 33 Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tigard
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by gosupes View Post
I would drive the 150 until it died, rebuild the 360/T176 and have it ready when it does. Swap things over once and be done.
This is a pretty good suggestion right here...

95 YJ, gone...
80 CJ7, gone...
12 KK, still here...
Nafpu is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 33 Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,808
Actually I was stating smog laws from California and Nevada. From what I remember Oregon it is the same too. Where smog is needed mind you. All I was doing was to acquaint the OP of the possible nightmare with engine swaps and emissions testing.

I personally have not done this swap. But I have done a huge amount of engine swaps. I highly doubt the engine harness would be a perfect fit without some alterations to it. But that may be just me.... I am a perfectionist.

I agree with gosupes. Figure what you want and do it once. Swapping engines around is a fairly big job even for a seasoned mechanic. If it's your set plan to go with a 360, than go with it and spend you money and time to get the 360 in your Jeep. Because anything else for you is a waste of time and money. You won't be satisfied with anything less. Unless you get a complete 258 out of a CJ you are going to be hunting for parts that are not so easy to come by. and then you will be doing it all over with the 360.

1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
titomars is offline  
post #33 of 33 Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 164
I know my whole plan is to rebuild the t176 and 360 and swap them in be happy with them and done. However life happened and I'm not sure when I'll be able to tackle them since they are in ca. If I knew I'd be here for a little while then head back it would be a no brainier I'd wait. But since its appearing I'll be here for a while its why I'm considering this. I flew back for a mini vacation to visit family and due to their health and other personal stuff my trip has been extended in defiantly. All my stuff is in storage in ca and I just brought up 2 bags of clothes then I went back and drove her up so I'd have her here. So we will see how this all pans out. It always works out.

But like I keep saying I just want to thank everyone for all your help, advice on this a other topics ive posted over the years. this is an awesome site with so many cool people. And I've learned so much so thank you. And I promise when I do my complete rebuild ill be posting like crazy an seeking even more advice.
Cpolinsky is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome