Amc 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 258

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Amc 258

Quick question, will a t-5 hold up to a amc 258? I have a t-5 to a amc 151 and have a chance to get a 258. I know there are other transmission that are better (I have a t176 w/360 in storage that both need to be rebuild but storage unit is 2 states away). But I'd like to still keep it manual and if I can make it work great if not any suggestion for a 258 that I could find (manual still) that will work with my dana 300.

Thanks, Chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I ran my T5 for a couple of years behind my 258,,,Wasn't the best, but it did work! Just don't abuse it and you should be fine!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A 258 is not a stump puller but is a "lightweight, furl efficient engine" according to AMC in the day.

The T5 can handle the power and torque from the lump. However it is a relatively long light car transmission, hence it does not stand up very well to the abuse of serious offroading.

There are better choices out there but if it is surviving in your Jeep already then it will probably continue to do so.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

I have a t5 and 258 (now with EFI as well) AND 4:1 D300 gears and it works fine on finessed offroading trips. I doubt serious burn outs or mud would be good for it... but crawling its held up 30 years so far.....
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Jeep-N-0311
1984 CJ7 

Just a thought - have you done a search (ebay, craigslist, local sale magazines at the 7-11, etc) for a T-176 locally? chances are you might find a few (including some that don't need rebuild, possibly already connected to a D300, bellhousing, linkage, etc) for sale for a reasonable price. I wanted to get rid of my rattly old T5; I found a T176 w/D300 (and clocking ring mounted) & bellhousing for like ... $300.
Jeep-N-0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

This wouldn't be any serious off roading. Basically I have a chance to get a 258 and would love to upgrade from the 151. I just have been reading mixed reviews about that match up. Eventually I'll replace both down the road with a 176 and 360. If I had access to them know I'd just start rebuilding them but I can't for a while. (thankfully I can pay my storage unit online).

Billybooster It wouldn't be for burn outs of any kind. Just an upgrade from what I have now. Did you swap out for the 258 or was it already there when you go it?

I'm just wondering what I'm going to need to do (new radiator, starter, alt, probably carb rebuild, different exhaust). Would I just cut the exhaust where it meets the old intake and then get that welded back. I don't know how to weld so I'd probably to go to either a muffler or welder to do it for me. Would I need new motor mounts? Or will the same ones work? I did replace them when the engine was pulled a few yrs ago.

Any other things I should know about before tackling this (problem areas what to expect or should this be pretty easy)?
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Billybooster It wouldn't be for burn outs of any kind. Just an upgrade from what I have now. Did you swap out for the 258 or was it already there when you go it?
when the engine was pulled a few yrs ago.

Any other things I should know about before tackling this (problem areas what to expect or should this be pretty easy)?[/QUOTE]

It was original 258 t5 factory. As long as u dont abuse it itll hold up fine to a 258
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The reason the T-5 didn't hold up real well in CJ's was 1, the STUPID hi R&P's the were used by AMC(2:73). 2, then folks would put 33"+ tires on, and all the torque load went on the tranny(bad)and not the R&P(where it should be)
I have run a T-5 for 28+ years. Don't drive stupid and you should be fine.
I do run 4:88 R&P.
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

I agree with LG. im running 456 and 35's..
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Thanks everyone now just can't wait to do this.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You would do good to install Moser 1-piece axles too.
Moser's are the best choice for this.
Good luck,
LG
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
The reason the T-5 didn't hold up real well in CJ's was 1, the STUPID hi R&P's the were used by AMC(2:73). 2, then folks would put 33"+ tires on, and all the torque load went on the tranny(bad)and not the R&P(where it should be)
I have run a T-5 for 28+ years. Don't drive stupid and you should be fine.
I do run 4:88 R&P.
LG
I pumped up my 258 alot. I also do burnouts quite a bit. I have 4:10s and lockers on 33X12.50s. There is not a thing wrong with my T-5. It takes it fine.
Remember in the 80's these things were used in Mustang GT's, Camaro Z28's and Firebird T/A's with engines up to 350 ci and over 300 HP. I also used one in an F150 stepside. That was producing 332 HP with a 300 I6 that regularly spun up to 7500+ rpm which I used to street race all the time. That being said they are not built for off roading they are/were street 5 speeds. As everyone says don't be stupid with it and it will hold up fine.

On another note the 4cyl version is a bit different than the 6cyl version.
gear ratios are different and the input shaft is different. ratios would not be a problem but the input will require you to use different clutch pieces over stock to make it work. I am pretty sure the bell housing is different too. Motor mount brackets are different. I would assume the radiator is also different. The Hydraulic clutch linkage is easy to adapt.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The T-5 in our Jeep's and the T-5 used in the Mustang, et-al, are no ways near the same 'box'. They never have been either
LG
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
The T-5 in our Jeep's and the T-5 used in the Mustang, et-al, are no ways near the same 'box'. They never have been either
LG
Actually they were. The "World Class" box did not come out till 85/86 and that is different internally. Other than ratios there was no internal differences between the Jeep, S-10, Ford or any other T-5 from 82 to 84/85. besides the obvious input shaft and retainer and main shaft and tail housing. Even the Jeep main case is exactly the same as the Ford main case. The only difference is AMC did not migrate to the world class box when everyone else did.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

I forgot about the bell housing what would I need to do to make it work to a t5 I thought they were different? (Any mods I have to make to make it fit)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.