amc 20 yoke play - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > amc 20 yoke play

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
MichaeljR
1981 CJ7 

amc 20 yoke play

the pinion seal on my amc 20 is leaking, so i'm about to replace it .i got the cover off, oil drained, u-joint disconnected from the yoke.i can't remove pinion nut till tomorrow(i have to drive an hour to oreilly's to get a 1 1/8'' socket).i noticed the yoke has about a 1/16" of play side to side and up and down.is this normal or should i plan on replacing the outer pinion bearing as well?

MichaeljR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaeljR View Post
i noticed the yoke has about a 1/16" of play side to side and up and down.is this normal or should i plan on replacing the outer pinion bearing as well?
Keep in mind that changing that bearing requires removing the entire carrier, and pulling the axles. and its a fairly involved process to get it all together, involing crush sleeves, and special tools.

Note: My yoke had a bit of play as well, but after I changed the seal, and torqued it back up, the play went away, so who knows. Changing the seal itself is a much easier task, though since you would be reusing the same crush sleeve, its hard to tell if you are setting the proper preload.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
MichaeljR
1981 CJ7 

"ya,i'm hoping the new seal will help with the play.it's worn pretty bad. thanks for the reply.
MichaeljR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

BTW, the nut is 1-5/16" and the socket usually has to be turned down on the outside to fit into the yolk.

Just wanted to save ya a trip.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.