AMC 20 weld tubes to diff housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 weld tubes to diff housing?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
sweet76
1976 CJ7 

AMC 20 weld tubes to diff housing?

I have a built AMC 360 that is pretty stout. I recently spun an axle shaft in the hub of my stock 2 piece axles while on the street. I do mostly street driving, occasional trail riding and some more rough 4 wheeling. I have ordered a set of moser 1 piece axles and have yet to install them. I have read that sometimes you can spin the axle tubes in the housing with too much power, but i don't see how that could possibly happen ( maybe someone could explain). So how can I make them stronger or do I even need to?

Also, I know about trusses and really don't want to go there as I don't do hardcore wheeling that would bend the whole housing.

Oh yea, if it matters I have the QT with MM PT and 33's.

sweet76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Spun the hubs and spun the axle tubes in the chunk on my 84. I got lucky and it pulled back into place and is now welded and is sporting superior 1 piece axles. All this while running 31x 10.50 BFG AT's with a little stock 258 I6.

WELD IT. If you are not offroading much you may be alright with out trusses. If you hardcore trail ride I would add the truss. I have not but really need to now that I am running 33's and lockers and tend to get wadded up in rock piles quite a bit.
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
sweet76
1976 CJ7 

Ok, welding sounds good. Since i am not a welder nor do i have a welder, what would be the easiest way to have this done. Does the axle need to be taken down to the bare housing- because that is not an option. Could 4wd (the business) do this?
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Me and a buddy of mine welded mine. I suck at welding and he is a novice. It is not hard to do and any decent welder should be able to do it. Weld a little and let it cool a while on its on. DO NOT QUINCH. Keep heat to a min. It does not take a lot. A 4WD shop should know how but a certified welder would be best since you are weldig mild steel tube to cast. There are holes in the cast near the end we welded inside the hole to the tube and a few tacks around the end of the cast for for good measure. If you you take your time and weld a little on one side and then a little on the other the bearings should be fine. I put a floor jack under the chunck and put just a little upward pressure on it to make sure it did not sag in the middle.

Good luck.
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
sweet76
1976 CJ7 

Alright, thanks alot. I'll see if I can find a good welder after i get my shafts in and get her back on the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.