Amc 20 Trac Loc? One piece.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 20 Trac Loc? One piece....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

Amc 20 Trac Loc? One piece....

From the looks of it I have a trac loc in my rear axle. Anyway to check if this thing is working? Can I upgrade to one piece axles with this setup? Its sitting on my bench now.

Cjwho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

Bump to page one. This is a trac loc right?
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Sevenseejay
1981 CJ7 

Yes, your AMC 20 has a trak lock differential and you can mount one piece axles on it.

Jeep Axle: AMC 20
Sevenseejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
spk454
1983 CJ8 

That also looks like you have 2.73's. you probably want to regear at the time, if you can find one for an amc20 a detroit truetrac is a better LS. you could also change to a locker or for a cheap out you could buy a new open carrier for about 60$. depends on what size tires, intended use etc....
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The easiest way to check it is with the axle installed. Simply raise on tire and with the t case in neutral, try to spin it by hand. A good T loc will be very hard to rotate, A worn one will spin easily. You can try duplicating the process on the bench by installing the axles and trying to rotate the pinion. You will have to lock an axle down though. It can be done with the brakes installed and adjusted all the way out.
You can install one piece axles. Many manufactures require the axle spacer be removed and this is a good time to do that, so you might want to do some research on what set you want.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Yes, it's a trac-lock.
you will find the clutches inside the case on the ring gear side.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

DD=Daily Driver=2.73's with Trac Lok. And as Jeepdaddy2000 suggested this is a good time to pull the axle spacer (aka thrust block) if going to 1 piece axles.
The clutch discs are on both sides in a Jeep Trac Lok unlike some 9" Fords that have them only on one side.

Last edited by 80cj; 01-06-2010 at 07:19 PM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

I had no idea my gear ratio was so low. Its a 81 Laredo with the factory 304 (last year in the cj7). I have been running 33's but then again i don't do much off roading and when its done it will see very little trail time. What's my best bet here? Do I clean and paint them and keep riding or do i spend a bunch of money upgrading and regearing. This build if getting $$$$$$
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

Would you guys re-gear or just keep running this set up? Once the resto is complete its going to see very little off road time.
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwho View Post
Would you guys re-gear or just keep running this set up? Once the resto is complete its going to see very little off road time.
You have to decide on what your plans are for tires and use of the Jeep. Nothing will kill a vehicle's peformance more than a mismatch between tire size and gear ratio.
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
Cjwho
1981 CJ7 

OK so I have a couple of updates. After several days of researching axels and gear ratios I went back down to the garage to find out what i was dealing with. The first thing I realized right off the bat was that i already have one piece axels. From what i can tell they are Moser axels ( M E stamped on plate). My research tells me that Mosers are a good set and i should be happy i have those already. Now comes the real shocker! I counted the teeth on the ring and pinion and was shocked when it came to 41 and 10. So it looks like i have one piece axels and someone has also swapped in 4:10 gears. I put up a couple more photos for you guys to look at to see if you could help me confirm.

Unread 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is good news... Looks like you are rocking some 4.10s and one piece axles. Sometimes the thrust block doesn't need to be removed. Looks like you are good.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Make sure you can move the thrust block left and right slightly. That would mean that the axles are not bound up against it. In looking at your pictures, It looked like the ring gear was pretty thick to be 2.73 but then, I didn't have anything to compare with. Good score!
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can also look on the ring gear for the gearing. It should be stamped on there.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #15
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Back to your trac lok. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they are junk. If yours isn't working properly, take the money you were going to spend on the axles and put it toward a different unit. Decide what kind of offroading your going to do and find one that suits your needs.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.