AMC 20 Scrap and replace with? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Scrap and replace with?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
RobP

AMC 20 Scrap and replace with?

I have an 83 CJ7. Doing a restore and have the axles off. I need to go to a one piece axle and 4.11 gears. Also, will probably need to replace brakes. Should I just scrap this one and go for another type. I heard of people not liking the AMC 20 very much, but, do not know what model to go to (or where I might find a complete setup cheap)

Please reply.

Rob

RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Hi,
I have a AMC 20 under mine with one piece axles and a Detroit locker. I haven't regeared it yet, but plan to in the future. Not sure what your set up is, but I use to run an AMC 20, 1 pieces and 3:31's with a trac loc in it. Never broke anything and that was abused at it worst, lol. I also have a Dana 44 out back, that I have been saving to swap it if I ever snap anything. I think the AMC 20 built correctly is just as good as the Dana 44, some may differ though on my thinking.
You need to figure out your maximum price and put a cap on how much you want to spend, if you are doing the work yourself or having a mechanic do it.
Axles will cost you say $400, new brakes $100, Gears about $550 for front and rear, seals and bearings for the front ?? then labor cost ???
If you know what your gears are, try to find a matching Dana 30 and Dana 44 out of an 86 CJ7, most were made in the later part of the year. If you can live with your gearing, then I would just go the 1 piece axles and do the brakes and then see where you are at.

I would post here in the wanted section, Craigslist or Ebay. You may also try a salvage yard or even buy a parts rig to get what you need, swap it and resell it or keep it. Good luck.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Rockram1

There are alot of choices. Are you going for a restore or modify. You can go with a Dana44, Ford 9", Dana 60. What's your future plans with the Jeep? What kind of wheling? Is this a commuter or a trail rig? As you may have noticed you have not supplied enough info.
Unread 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
RobP

Need more info on AMC20

Hello & thanks for your quick replies. I have to regear to 4.11 to accomodate 34 or 35 tires. Plans are for off road fun, but with on road capability (not a daily).

Plan to modify existing equipment to accomodate the 35's.

Hope this helps.
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Bullwinkle

I would go with 4.56 gearing for 35" tires; especially since it's not a daily driver.

Here's a good article on improving the AMC 20.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...8_amc_20_axle/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.