Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AMC 20 RH Axle installation(1984 CJ7)

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  blueangel 
#1 ·
I fried the Timken tapered bearing. We've gotten the axle(one-piece) out and removed the inner race of the bearing from the axle. I need a step-by-step guide on the removal(there was some damage to the opening in the break backing plate) and replacement of the axle. I need a diagram.

What keeps the axle from working its way out of the housing? I understand that the bearing is pressed onto the axle and that the retainer bolts to the housing and in effect holds the bearing into its seat in the housing, but it looks like the biggest part of my failure occured because the retainer gave way.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
i'm not sure if this will help you out or not. It is very indepth and was way over my head but did help for the small portion i will be attempting soon. (replace inner seal)

full-amc-20-rebuild-setup

the dudes a frenchie (i think) so have patience with his typing.
:rolleyes: :D that's why pics are BETTER than words ,

Regards,

Gilles

#4 ·
ONE PIECE AXLE INSTALLATION

The best diagram I'm aware of comes from the Moser instruction sheet. They're all pretty much similar. The axle is held in place by the retainer/seal plate which is located on the outboard side of the brake backing plate.

For me, I decided it was easier to install the assembly by making it a two step practice. You're going to find that silicone sealer is going to be needed on both sides of the brake backing plate. That can get really messy real quick when you're trying to slip everything together at the same time. It takes longer (long enough for the silicone to set up, at least 12 hours) but the way I do it is to silicone the retainer/seal plate to the outboard side of the backing plate, use the nuts and bolts to clamp it tight, let it set up, remove the nuts and bolts and THEN install the assembly into the axle tube. This way has fewer moving parts and you're not smearing the silicone all over.

Cleanliness is imperative for the silicone to properly seal! Use brake cleaner on the axle flange and both sides of the brake baking plate. Also make real sure the mating surfaces are flat! Failure to do these things creates a very good chance of the axle leaking.

Here's a link to the Moser instructions:
http://www.moserengineering.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/87/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.