AMC 20 rear pinion seal, torque value, not again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 rear pinion seal, torque value, not again

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
jetamerica
85 CJ7, 2012 Wrangler

1985 CJ7 

AMC 20 rear pinion seal, torque value, not again

Thanks to everyone for their help, the search on the pinion seal was very helpful. When I went to check the torgue value to turn the rear pinion assy prior to removing the pinion nut, tires and brake drums off, I was expecting about 20 inch pounds or so. Mine barely read anything, less then 5 inch pounds to turn the assy. I have had no problems in two years of owning this jeep. After I replace the seal should I tighten the pinion nut until it takes 10 inch pounds (the original 5 Inch pounds to turn the assy plus an additional 5 inch ponds) or should I tighten the pinion nut to a specific minimun torque value to turn the pinion assy. thanks and sorry for another pinion seal question.

1985 CJ AMC 20 rear with factory 3.31 gears, T-5, 6 cyl
If anyone has a honey denim seat in any condition from this era I am looking

jetamerica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I'm no expert, but it sounds like that will work for you.

I just did the same thing, but my reading was 14 in./lbs. initially, so I re-tightened to 19 in./lbs.with a new seal in.

Hopefully, others will chime in.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
jetamerica
85 CJ7, 2012 Wrangler

1985 CJ7 

rixcj,
I don't have the tools to make the tool to hold the yoke when I loosen the pinion nut, what did you use or did you make one.
jetamerica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
NelsonATC
1980 CJ7 

Used a large pipe wrench when I did mine. Worked great!
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetamerica View Post
rixcj,
I don't have the tools to make the tool to hold the yoke when I loosen the pinion nut, what did you use or did you make one.
Yes. I made a yoke holder tool, several years ago. After the new seal was installed, I used an impact gun to get the new pinion nut close to touching the yoke, then, from there on , I used a ratchet the rest of the way.

I did VERY SMALL increments. Tighten a little, check torque. Tighten a little more, check the torque, again.

I followed this procedure until I was at 19 in./lbs, which was my target number.

I had to use the yoke holder throughout the entire nut tightening process.

Here are a few pics of it...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.