amc 20 rear brake problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > amc 20 rear brake problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

amc 20 rear brake problem

Let me say first,I hate drum brakes.And that I have no idea what to do with this problem.

Yesterday I went for a ride and smelled brakes burning.When I got it home the right rear drum was smoking.Took the drum off and this is what I see wrong.It would cause my problem I think,but if not feel free to let me know what you think.

When I pull the e brake and return it,one of the shoes does not return all the way.

Before

After pull and release

Might be a noob question,but I did not find it in search.

Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
neals80
1980 CJ7 

did you just get break work done? it looks clean....most of the time grime will cause this, making the springs sticky....WHat if you put on the breaks not the ebreak ??same result....I would remove the good side that works and do quick comparison...sorry..I hate drum breaks too,,,like having a carb when you know there is better technology out there

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

Unless you removed it yourself, your brake adjuster is missing (should be on the bottom between the two shoes).
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

Its there,just the angle of the pic has it hidden.

Yes,I just got it back again from the shop that put the arb and yukons in it.I took it back because the rear seal was leaking,now there is this new problem.

It does it with the pedal too.The edge of the shoe is hanging up on the backing plate.I have to force it back into place.
Unread 04-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
neals80
1980 CJ7 

Im lost...It looks like fluid from the calipers or the bad seal could have ruined the breaks themselves...when applied breaks due cause heat....and with any substance on them they will smoke and smelll....get some good break cleaner and spray the pads and drum and re-assemble and see what happens....as for the awkward breaks with the pedal or e break...the drum kinda keeps all that in place...try cleaning them...

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

I adjusted them today after i cleaned them.Still gets way to hot(Cant touch the drum) compared to the driver side(warm to touch after 10 mile trip).

Im gonna try a wheel cylinder next.
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #7
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

if you swap the upper springs and put the primary shoe spring on first (after adjuster cable ring of course), then follow it by the secondary shoe, you should get more spring clearance to the wheel cylinder. I noticed this when doing my brakes recently and found reference to it in the Jeep Rebuilder's guide. This MIGHT serve to increase your return spring action on the primary shoe.
I would also check the ebrake transfer bar and spring to make sure the primary shoe is seating in the notch. Finally, it's possible to have the shoes hang on the backing plate, where the inside edges tilt in a bit toward the plate and you have to pull on them to get them to snap into the proper seat on the tiny greased flats on the backing plate, but that's probably not your issue.
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Is the parking brake cable sticking on that wheel???
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Rubicon View Post
I adjusted them today after i cleaned them.Still gets way to hot(Cant touch the drum) compared to the driver side(warm to touch after 10 mile trip).

Im gonna try a wheel cylinder next.

Make sure that this bar is seated properly. Looks like it may not be.
brake.jpg  
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
SWAcapt
1979 CJ7 

I think I see your problem, you have drum brakes. You might want to consider converting to rear disc brakes.

1979 CJ-7, 'built 401', 4-wheel discs, Rhino-lined, 2.5 lift, Original Owner!
SWAcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAcapt View Post
I think I see your problem, you have drum brakes. You might want to consider converting to rear disc brakes.
It was the wheel bearing seizing.The installer shimmed it too tight trying to get rid of the seal leak.

I have an 8.8 now installed with disk brakes.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Unread 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
bblust77
1978 CJ5 

This is the same problem I had. I am know changing all of my bearings and seals which is not fun at all. I wish I had the money to swap out rear ends for disc brakes cause the conversion kit is $$$$$$$$.
bblust77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.