AMC 20 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
jpsmets
1982 CJ7 

AMC 20 problems

Hi guys. Haven't been on here in quite awhile, but I just got my 82 CJ7 back and I'm ready to tear into it. I sold the jeep to my brother in law a few years ago. It was in phenominal shape but of course he beat the crap out of so here I am picking up the pieces. I bought it back from him because I felt it suffered enough and now I'm ready to bring it back to life.

So he has it towed to my house after he kills the rear axle. I take a look at it and the part that retains the bearings is shredded on the axle tube. So I start trying to identify exactly which rear I have. I think it was completely modified because nothing matches up. First its a narrow track based on the 50.5" distance between the tires. It has 4.10 gears in it, but it has the letter code B on the diff housing which tells me its wide track with 3.31 gears. The axle tube on the drivers side measures approx. 16" and the passanger side measures approx. 18" Anyone have any clue about this? I want to get a new rear put in, but I'm not even sure what to get at this point.

Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be back in CJ land

jpsmets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
S76
1984 CJ7 

Are you sure it is a narrow track? Code B if for wide tracks.

Narrow Track AMC 20
Code Gear Ratio Diff Type
AA 2.73 Open
DD 2.73 Trac-Lok
BB 3.31 Open
CC 3.31 Trac-Lok
A 3.54 Open
N 3.54 Trac-Lok
GG 3.73 Open
Q 3.73 Trac-Lok
L 4.10 Open
M 4.10 Trac-Lok

Wide Track AMC 20
Code Gear Ratio Diff Type
D 2.73 Open
DD 2.73 Trac-Lok
B 3.31 Open
BB 3.31 Trac-Lok
A 3.54 Open
AA 3.54 Trac-Lok
H 3.73 Open
HH 3.73 Trac-Lok
C 4.10 Open
CC 4.10 Trac-Lok

The wide trac 20's have 2 different length axles also.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
jpsmets
1982 CJ7 

Thats kind of what confuses me. If I measure from the inside of each tire I come up with 50.5" for a narrow track. And I thought there was a much bigger difference in the offset on a widetrack. I didn't even notice the 2" difference until I got under there and measured. I know this jeep had quite a bit done to it before I got it like the engine/tranny swap it also used to be stick now its automatic. The gears were changed in the rear at the very least so I figured maybe they did some crazy axle swap where they shortened a wide track for some reason.
jpsmets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsmets
Thats kind of what confuses me. If I measure from the inside of each tire I come up with 50.5" for a narrow track. And I thought there was a much bigger difference in the offset on a widetrack. I didn't even notice the 2" difference until I got under there and measured. I know this jeep had quite a bit done to it before I got it like the engine/tranny swap it also used to be stick now its automatic. The gears were changed in the rear at the very least so I figured maybe they did some crazy axle swap where they shortened a wide track for some reason.
You can't measure from the inside of the tires. Different size tires would give you different length. 82 was first year for wide track anyways. When I snapped a shaft on mine I actually measured the shaft to order correct replacement. Like mentioned driver and pass side shafts measure differently.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.