AMC 20 Problems! - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
AMC 20 Problems!

I just had 1 piece superior axles put in my 80 CJ7 after battling leaking seals. Everything was great until yesterday I was going down the road and the jeep would not pull. I thought I lost my clutch then I put it in gear and saw the drive shaft turning and the wheels not even thinking of moving. I also noticed fluid leaking from the passenger side of the axle. Am i correct to think my tracloc just gave up? No grinding noise or anything when it went> My axle has a Y stamped on it so I guessing its a trac loc. If so should i rebuild it or just put in a detroit locker or what? I need help.

Jefenhauser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Mr_Ranger
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 118
Silly question, but you got the 1 piece axles meant for Tracloc? Is it the same as Quadra-trac?

Scratches on a Jeep are like scars on a soldier, earned and respected :D
Mr_Ranger is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
Not a silly question and when I ordered to axles I didn't think I had trac loc because the measurements worked out correct. I haven't seen my carrier yet so hopefully I will know for sure soon.
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #4 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
I went to the shop today and the axle on the passenger side has slid out about an 1 1/2". I'm guessing or hoping its just a bearing issue. I would like to know what made this happen?
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #5 of 42 Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM
deadeye
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sw ohio
Posts: 385
the brake backing plate holds the axle in, there should be no way it can come out.

83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline  
post #6 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM
jeepwhore
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye
the brake backing plate holds the axle in, there should be no way it can come out.
Unless the bearing retainer ring has slipped. That would allow the bearing to stay in place but the axle shaft to slide out. Could be when they installed it they didn't press the ring on far enough......or they didn't press the ring on at all.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline  
post #7 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
big_o_tom
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tazewell
Posts: 353
I had three axles come out like on a model 20. It could be a few things, is the still on and tight? If just the axle came out then I would say that the wrong press or locking ring was used. I think the issues I had with mine were because of a bent housing, not for sure though.
big_o_tom is offline  
post #8 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Renegade82
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lewistown
Posts: 4,815
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Unless the bearing retainer ring has slipped. That would allow the bearing to stay in place but the axle shaft to slide out. Could be when they installed it they didn't press the ring on far enough......or they didn't press the ring on at all.
x2

Axle length isn't an issue between an open carrier and a TracLok carrier. Same axles work for both.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/30...e-off-1280850/
Renegade82 is offline  
post #9 of 42 Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
Thanks for the responses as soon as I find out what happen I will let you know.
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #10 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
Ok I found out that the bearing must of ran dry and the bearing got hot came apart and destroyed the brand new axle. I the axle has 2 seals how is it supposed to get lubricated? How do I stop this from happening again??
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #11 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
thompsoj22
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ridgecrest
Posts: 320
im about to pull mine apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefenhauser View Post
Ok I found out that the bearing must of ran dry and the bearing got hot came apart and destroyed the brand new axle. I the axle has 2 seals how is it supposed to get lubricated? How do I stop this from happening again??
i also have a one piece axle kit. i wont explain the whole story but i have the remainder of the install kit which the prior owner had installed. the "zerk fittings" that come with it are still in the box. the install instructions show the zerks drilled/tapped into the axle tube to grease the bearings which are now isolated from the diff oil. im thinking they leave the inner seal out to retain the diff oil feature?. if your mech installed both seals but no zerks than im sure you can see what happened. ill know how mine has stayed together after i pull it apart.
thompsoj22 is offline  
post #12 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
There is an awesome thread explaining the whole deal with these axles. I have another set of axles on the way :-( from Randy's Ring and pinion. I'm going to have them either leave the inner seal out or drill holes in it for lubrication.
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #13 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
jeepwhore
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 3,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsoj22
i also have a one piece axle kit. i wont explain the whole story but i have the remainder of the install kit which the prior owner had installed. the "zerk fittings" that come with it are still in the box. the install instructions show the zerks drilled/tapped into the axle tube to grease the bearings which are now isolated from the diff oil. im thinking they leave the inner seal out to retain the diff oil feature?. if your mech installed both seals but no zerks than im sure you can see what happened. ill know how mine has stayed together after i pull it apart.
The M20 doesn't use the diff oil for lubrication....nor has it ever done so. The bearing is supposed to be packed with grease after it's pressed on. And unless you leave your axles submerged for long periods of time that initial packing will ensure the bearing sees tens of thousands of miles without a problem.

The inner seal keeps the diff oil from washing the grease out of the bearing and the outer seal keeps contaminants out of the grease. Some people do install the zerks so they don't have to dis-assemble the axle to put fresh grease in but it's not a feature used by the 3 biggest axle suppliers so in my opinion it's not a must-have.

To the OP, sounds like your bearing wasn't packed before final assembly, bummer....but now you know.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline  
post #14 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55
The other bummer is superior is out of these axles and will not be making more for a while if at all. Now that my new Yukon axles will be here Friday . Am I correct to ask my mechanic to put the zerk fitting in or just leave the inner seal out like another thread says on jeep forum?
Jefenhauser is offline  
post #15 of 42 Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM
thompsoj22
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ridgecrest
Posts: 320
thanks for the info, that explains the zerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
The M20 doesn't use the diff oil for lubrication....nor has it ever done so. The bearing is supposed to be packed with grease after it's pressed on. And unless you leave your axles submerged for long periods of time that initial packing will ensure the bearing sees tens of thousands of miles without a problem.

The inner seal keeps the diff oil from washing the grease out of the bearing and the outer seal keeps contaminants out of the grease. Some people do install the zerks so they don't have to dis-assemble the axle to put fresh grease in but it's not a feature used by the 3 biggest axle suppliers so in my opinion it's not a must-have.

To the OP, sounds like your bearing wasn't packed before final assembly, bummer....but now you know.
so why are they so prone to leaking?. is it the inner seal failing and the outer seal not designed to keep oil in but simply contaminants out?.
thompsoj22 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome