AMC 20 One Piece Axle Install - Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 One Piece Axle Install - Questions

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 One Piece Axle Install - Questions

I'm getting ready to do a one piece axle install in my AMC20, and I have a couple of questions.

My old axle had shims between the backing plate and axle flange on the LEFT side only.
Do I need to reuse them?

When I am setting the bearing spacer location, so that I have the proper overhang of the bearing to the face of the axle flange....do I include the shims on the left side as well?

Thank you for your time,
Mike

axle-shims-left-side.jpg   one-piece-axle-bearing-spacer-question.jpg  
jumper182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You won't need the shims from the old axle with the one piece axles. As far as getting the proper spacing for the new bearings, good news is that just about every time everything falls into specs. If the bearing is too proud, you would need to find a machine shop to remove some material from the spacer rings. Again, almost never happens.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
BigWheelBob

No shims required, and you can use a belt sander to set your race stickout.
BigWheelBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

When I did mine the bearing was out too far, and I just kept working the inner seal, making sure it was fully seated. I got about .015 more out of it after taping on it forever. so make SURE it is seated before you do any grinding.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
S76
1984 CJ7 

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in your plans but you may want to consider this.

I am preparing to put in one piece axles also. I have the axles but the 20 is still out getting rebuilt so I am on hold for the moment. In the meantime a friend was doing a similar job on a vintage GTO and ran into the following problem. He was using Yukon axles, and I have Crown axles and they both have the same defect.

If you look at the factory axle it has a nice smooth area were the inner factory seal rides on it. This area is cut a tiny bit smaller than the part of the axle where the bearing and the press fit retainer ring go. The new axles are not made that way. They are the same diameter all the way. He didn't notice at first, but once the bearing and retainer were pressed on, the axle was galled in the area the inner seal rides because the bearing and retainer are pressed over and past this part of the axle galling the metal in the process.

I would suggest marking the area where the seal rides like the factory axle and having the axles turned down a little and polished in that spot. The bearing is .003 tight fit and the retainer is .006 tight. So you need to remove .006 in the area where the seal rides to prevent the galling during assembly. .006 tight is very very tight!

Just guessing, but I suspect this galling is the reason so many people have problems with leaking axle seals. No seal will work on a rough surface.

Just my $.02.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I've had Mosers for years, built the same way (same diameter but smooth) and haven't had the problem. Some suggest not installing the inner seals and running the bearings wet.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

No shims needed.
Stay with the inner seal.
BEFORE you install that axle, coat the OD of the shaft with grease so you don't scuff/cut that inner seal.
Don't forget to seal the backside of the brakes backing plate were it meets the axles flange.
Pact the bearing w/grease and add a handfull extra inside the axle housing where the bearing 'lives'.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^I agree^^^ The point I was making though is that I don't think there's an issue. Also, the OP should search the archives as there are approximately eleven billionty threads on just this subject alone.

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Thank you for the response and advice!

This is what makes this forum so great, the sharing of information so the next ones learn from those that have done before. I do appreciate it!

Mike
jumper182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.